┏°⌜ 056: quiet place

Both of you were on the way to the place that Eren had suggested.

As Jaeger already said, it wasn't far away. To get to this place you two first had to leave the city, whereby the gate was guarded. But it was no problem to get through- thanks to Eren.

3 minutes had passed since you two passed the gate now. All you could see so far was a hilly landscape. There were trees and bushes here and there and some small abandoned buildings, but there was nothing special to be seen on the outskirts of Shiganshina.

While walking to this place and chatting with Eren about various things, the fresh air was also very relaxing.
It was a bit cloudy so that the moonlight was sometimes covered by the clouds.
Hearing the wind, the trees, the grass blowing in the wind and crickets created a comfortable atmosphere, it made you forget that you weren't even in your world.

"-My mother wanted to bake an apple pie and sent Mikasa and me to get some fresh apples from the weekly market. The seller wanted to give us a basket of apples, but then I saw that 2 of them were pretty moldy."
The brunette laughed while telling you Storys from his childhood
"When I told the seller about it he just said I was blind and that the apple was good but that only made me angrier. Well, you know how i was as a kid... i wanted to throw the apple in his face but Mikasa stopped me.... as always."

"Pfff-" You had to laugh as well
"And did you still buy the apples?

"No. We then bought them somewhere else, but unfortunately they were more expensive."
He let out an quiet sigh while looking at the sky

You two walked at a slow pace. With every step you could hear your own footsteps in the grass.
It felt so free, unfortunately you don't get that feeling very often here.

Hard to imagine that this place was once full of titans.
Even though all the titans here have been killed, you sometimes thought that there might still be a titan walking around somewhere.
But even if it were the case, it didn't scare you. At least Eren is with you.

"You know..." Eren suddenly spoke in a very calm voice "You're the only one where I don't feel like I'm talking to a soldier. At the moment, even when I talk to Armin or Mikasa, it's only about important matters. Of course that's how it works and it's what I wanted, but then I sometimes forget about the small, meaningless things in life that make you human."

He stopped walking and so did you. His words triggered different emotions in you, but you didn't quite know how to react to that.

The strands of his hair and his green cloak blowed in the wind. His facial expression was serious, but there was a spark of sadness to be seen.
He continued:
"Our favorite meal. Hobbies. How long to brush your teeth. Dreams. Sometimes I crave to talk about such meaningless things. I know that everything I do at the moment is necessary and important to the Eldia. I want to fight for what's important to me, even if I die for it. But even if I'm ready to die I don't want to forget what it's like to be human. You keep reminding me how it feels, Y/n. Even if i sometimes doubt myself whether i'm not more of a titan or a devil..."

Your heart started beating faster. What he said made you happy and sad at the same time. Happy how he thinks about you- Sad because it had to come to this and how he thinks about himself.

You knew he was very busy, but you never thought he would think like this. He works day and night and is practically the center of attention in this war.
But just because it's currently war doesn't mean that you can give up your humanity. He is forced to suppress human feelings and concentrate on the essentials, but who can live like that all the time?

He actually lives like this from the beginning, but you only now realize how much it actually harms him. Even if he made himself more or less the "devil of paradise" it's not something to be proud of or happy about.