Chapter 101

"I can walk by myself." Giselle suddenly blurted after the elevator door slid close. Dean's grip tightened around her, showing no sign of obeying her words. She stared at his jawline which flexed and tensed regardless of how stone-cold his facial expression was. "Dean." She called his name in a serious voice when he seemed to be ignoring her purposely. "You can put me down now." When he didn't reply for the second time, she began to move by weakly kicking her feet in the air.

The minute she started to struggle inside his arms, Dean's eyes dropped to focus on her. "Do you not like it?" His voice came out rough like how it was inside the room earlier.

She paused fluttering her feet and then respond with a puzzling tone. "Of course, no. You're doing it in public. It's embarrassing if you're going to walk out through the lobby with me in your arms like this. This is my workplace. My coworkers will see me in this type of... situation."

"Who cares about what others think? If they spread bad words, then they'll have to deal with me." He murmured with brows held together tightly, displaying no evidence of a joke.

"Why is it that... you have to sound so threatening all the time?"

"I don't threaten people, Giselle. I can only do as much to keep you safe." He brushed his thumb gently over her shoulder through the thin fabric before he added, "And, I doubt they're still counting you as one of their employees now after all of the times that you were gone. Trust me, there are no other places better than my place. And you will not have to work or serve any of these people."

"Dean, I am serious. We can discuss all of that later. But for now... We're only going to attract more attention if you're going to carry me out like this." She paused to take a deep breath and blinked slowly. "I just feel... very tired and fatigued now." She tightened her lips, showing signs of giving up on begging him. "I don't have all the strength to keep arguing with you." She sighed before shifting her gaze down.

"It's because you don't have the strength and that's why I am carrying you out," Dean said sternly. Soon he added, "But, like I have told you before. The feeling that I have for you will make me do anything... anything that I am capable of... to make you happy." He gulped as he hesitated to add. "But, do you know what hurts me? It was when seeing you... smiled at another man. You don't have any strength when it comes to me as compared to that doctor. And, that's fine. If you're weak when you're around me, then I will be your strength to keep you guided."

"He's my friend, Dean-"

Her voice sounded protective and defensive. Dean hurried to cut off before she could speak any further. "I know he is your friend. And, I am aware of what you're going through right now. I don't forbid you from doing whatever you want to Vincent. But, all I want is for you... to treat me the same at least... just like how you treat others... just like how you treated me when we first met."

Giselle shifted in his grasp again, hoping he would release her. "I can't treat you like others. And you know the answer to it. You're not the same as others to me."

"I think it's best if we can just settle our conversation here." He muttered in a flat tone as disappointment drove bile up his throat.

"Dean, you're not listening to me."

"If I put you down, that would make me as listening to you, correct?" Slowly, Dean placed her down on her feet before straightening his back. His hand was still placed on her back, giving her extra support, to make sure that she was able to stand by herself steadily.

"That was not what I meant." She insisted but he was already turning his eyes to the door that slid open just a second after the bell dinged.

"I parked the car at the back of the hospital. We can just leave through that exit door." He said, ignoring her resistance to walking. He applied a bit of pressure on her lower back, making her walk against her will in his arm. Dean did not bother to cast her a glance as he observed the environment around him for any dangers.