Chapter 40

Without realizing, Giselle's arms raised to wrap around Dean's waist as she buried her face against his warm broad chest. She felt a bit hesitant at first, but her heartbeat was driving her crazy. She knew, that what he had said to her was harsh, but she couldn't manage to walk away the moment she felt his grip around her wrist. Though she was mad at his statement earlier, her heart chose to ignore it while it demanded for something else. If she chose to leave, he would have nobody left. He told her that because of her father, he ended up not having anyone by his side. She wondered if she could make up for her father's mistake. If she stayed by him, would it be okay for him to forgive her father? If she chose to not leave him, would he be okay with her being next to him?

His heart pounded against his chest, matching her pace. As soon as she thought that he too shared the same feeling as hers, Dean's voice murmured near her ear. "You are too easy to trick."

Her eyes shot wide open when she heard him. What did he mean by that? She thought that he too didn't want to let her go. What was all of this is about? Giselle unwrapped her arms around his waist as she took a step back to stare at him with a pair of confused eyes.

He sighed out loud while he withdrew his arms from her waist slowly. She gulped before she repeated his word, "Trick?" She couldn't believe what he had said.

Was he just playing with her emotion? She thought that the warm hug, he just gave her, was to comfort her. Was it just an act? Why did he do that for? Did he know that his little action makes her heart skip a beat? It turned out that all he did was just to test her. She didn't understand. What was his intention? Her warm tears blurred her vision as she continued to ask, "Were you just...?" She paused when his facial expression made her felt speechless.

He shook his head slightly at the same time that he clenched his teeth. He wiped his dried tears away before he looked at her softly. "I'm just trying to prove what you've said to me. You can't say that I used you when you too were also enjoying it. Were you expecting something more? Don't be ridiculous. I proved it now. Tell me that you felt good even when I just hugged you. Every intimacy moment that we had... I did it because I wanted too. Don't tell me that you take all of those moments to heart. Whatever you think everyone has, I might not have it for you, Giselle Chu." He narrowed his eyes as he watched her cried.

She glanced at the floor to avoid his eyes while she tried to think. What did he mean? She felt so confused and lost.

Biting his bottom lip to hold back his emotion, Dean added, "I hope I have clarified and drew a clearer line. You were never used. You never belonged to me because I have never labeled you as mine. Don't go around thinking that I am your owner when I am not."

Giselle watched him, turning his back on her, with her teary eyes. How could he say that? He could've at least leave her some space, where she could remember all of the good memories between him and her. Did he know that her heart was about to explode every time she confronted him? Did he know that she was worried to death the moment she saw him was unconscious? Her feeling was purely from her heart. Never ever had she ever felt like this towards anyone else.

Until this very moment, his words, which were sharper than a knife, flew to stab her in the heart. She questioned herself if everything, she had shared with him, was all just in her own head. Did he do it intentionally to just get close to her? She was just being played by him, yet her stupid feelings grew out of control without realizing it. Why was it so hurtful to hear him said that she was never his? Why was it so hard to just continue to stand in front of him?

She blinked her tears away as she replied, "Sure... Even if everything you said were true, I'll be okay. All I'm asking for is for you to forgive my father. I don't want this mess to become even bigger. Please."