Chapter 53

As he backed away from Giselle, Dean noticed the upset expression displayed on her face. He didn't know what to do to make her feel better. Apart from him felt a little bit guilty that he had to lock her in this small mansion. He knew the feeling very well of how it should feel like to be locked up in one place. Even though he recognized that what he was doing was wrong, it was his last option for Dean to choose to protect her from his cruel father. He gulped in guilt and then tried to change the topic by telling her, "I'll help you cook." She didn't reply besides giving him a nod.

His stilled heart didn't know what to do to show love. What was love? Was he doing it right? He told her that he loved her, but how come everything was still not feeling right? Dean puzzled quietly. His eyes glanced at her every now and then, not sure of what to say.

After breakfast was done, he helped her carry the two plates full of bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, and a slice of bread to the table. When the atmosphere in the dining room was deadly silence beside the clinging sound of the utensils hitting against the plate, Dean heaved out a loud sigh and then placed his fork and knife down. While his eyes gazed at her, he hesitated to speak because he was not sure of how to start the conversation. She didn't bother to look up besides chewing the bacon in her mouth.

Dean wiped his oily lips with a napkin and then asked in a deep emotionless voice. "What are you thinking? Why are you not saying anything?"

Her eyes shot up to meet his in a split of a second as if his voice startled her. "What am I suppose to say?" She asked in a confused voice.

He narrowed his eyes. "I don't know. You're acting like you are mad at me just because I didn't allow you to call your friends."

"No, I am not." She argued softly.

Feeling unsettled, Dean leaned himself back against the chair. His lips curled a little before he said in a low tone of voice. "You know... you can take back your words if you want." His eyes shifted to stare at her in hesitant, only to see that her brows were furrowing at him in bewilderment. He gritted his teeth when he found the next sentence was hard for him to spit it out. "You don't know me, Giselle. It was wrong for you to say you love me when you don't even know me. Perhaps, it was too early for both of us to say we love each other... Come to think of it, I don't think we know each other." His heart twisted at his own voice at the same time he doubted himself if what he said could make her feel better.

Her eyes began to get watery as she shook her head slightly. "No, that is not true."

Dean hurried to cut her off and continued to tell her the truth of his uncertainty. "Listen... I am not even sure of what love is. My father asked me if I fell in love with you. I couldn't find the answer no matter how hard I tried. My last choice was to say it to you... But, I've never expected you to say it to me first. I don't know what makes you say it. I just wanted you to rethink your words and feeling that you have towards me. I don't want you to regret it."

Giselle clenched her teeth at the same time her eyes grew redder. "You think this is a joke? Why are you doing this to me? For a second, you act all soft and warm... The next second, you act all cold and clueless. I can't keep up with you if you are going to be like this." She nodded as she tried to hold back her tears that were forming in her eyes. Softening her voice, she continued speaking. "It's okay. I'll be okay. I'll be patient, I promise. I will learn from you, and you can learn from me if that makes you feel better." The corner of her lips curved up into a dry smile as she tried to encourage him. "If you are worried that what you do can affect me, then don't worry. I know... I know you... My father told me that The Cobra group, including you, involved with human trafficking and selling drugs."

Dean's eyes grew wider in shock before he quickly controlled his expression to make them emotionless again. He formed a fist with one hand on the table, disliking the fact that she knows about his dark secret. How could that sentence slip off her tongue so easily? He questioned because it was an unacceptable truth to other people.