Chapter 50

Dean froze in one place. He felt his heart stopped beating as he stared blankly at the rippled water, where she had disappeared to. He closed his hands into fists as he anticipated for his father and all of the men to leave. He counted the rippling waves of the water inside his head, with the hesitation to jump in. Every second felt like an hour to him. While the warm tears started to roll down the corner of his eyes, he bit his lips to hold back his painful sound that was about to escape his mouth. His heart was throbbing hard against his chest that he could felt his legs were starting to shake.

All of a sudden, the light beam from the car lit up the darkness before it slowly drifted away. After his father and everyone had departed the scene, Dean hurriedly took off his blazer and threw it aside. He jumped into the cold water without any hesitation. Under the dark navy night sky, he swam blindly, searching for Giselle. His arms were swaying everywhere to reach for her body until he caught what felt like her arm. Dean wasted no time to pull her up out of the freezing cold water onto the wooden path.

His tears were uncontrollably flowing out of his eyes as he prayed quietly to himself. All he wanted at that moment was for her to breathe again. Was it too late? Why was his body trembling so badly? His world, that was already isolated, felt even more dry and bitter the moment he witnessed her soulless body.

Lifting his trembling hands, he started to perform CPR in desperate. Meanwhile, he was compressing her chest, he called her name. "Wake up, Giselle. Wake up. I'm sorry." He begged at the same time he cried loudly in regret.

When she didn't show any reaction in response, Dean started to feel hopeless. How come when he lost his mother, he didn't feel the same way? How come he felt like he was losing every corner and edge of his strength? His body felt a sudden weakness. Even though the moonlight lit up the sky and his surroundings, but all he could see was the darkness that was engulfing him. The sound of his heart, that was repeatedly crashing against his rib cage, was deafening his ears. Nothing else in this world seemed to matter to him as he leaned his head down to seal her wet lips with his. He pinched her nose with his shaky fingers as he gave her his first breath.

After a couple of times of breathlessly giving her his breath, she still didn't wake up. Dean fell back onto his glute emotionlessly as he cried harder. His teary red eyes scanned her wet unconscious body without a blink. His mind was filled with nothing, but her name. No matter how many times he prayed and called for her, she didn't bother to respond. He didn't know what to do to bring her back to life. He tried everything. He tried his best. He had never saved anyone, and he didn't know how to revive them back to life either. At that moment, he wished to exchange his life for her life, if he could. Never had he ever felt this way towards anyone. Even when he lost his mother, Dean didn't feel as broken as now. He raised his shaking hands up and then pulled his hair with full force. For the first time in his life, he felt like he was losing his mind and control. Dean screamed at the top of his lung before he punched the wooden path a few times.

What have I done? What am I even doing?

He questioned himself, unable to think straight, as he leaned in to pull her body up with his bleeding right hand. His icy heart broke into pieces, the moment he embraced her. She was just talking. She was just apologizing to him the other day. How could time run so fast? How could fate decide to separate her from him again? The lightning pain struck his heart as he tightened his grip around her shoulders.

Meanwhile, Dean was hugging her in his arms, a weak sound of her coughs drew his attention. He released her a little before he turned to stare at her face. "Breath, it's okay. I'm here. Look at me. It's okay. I'm sorry." He apologized, almost in a whisper, while he tucked a strain of her wet hair behind her ear gently. She didn't reply besides passing out again. He breathed out in relief when he felt her chest was moving up and down against his. "I'm sorry. It's okay, now." He whispered softly and then placed his chin over her head. As he caressed her wet hair, he cursed himself for not being able to protect her from his father.