Chapter 102

"What are you doing? Are you not going to work today?" Giselle questioned when Dean brought a bowl of warm water out along with a small white towel from the bathroom.

"I figured you might want to at least get washed up." He replied as he sat the glassy bowl down on the nightstand. "So, while I am free, I will do whatever I can to help you."

"Is that an indirect way of saying I smell?" She murmured with a fake frown even though what he said made her heart flutter like how they had always been together.

Dean furrowed his brows at her and shook his head. "I can't tell if you're joking. But no." He began to roll his sleeves while staring at her. "What? You don't believe me? If you're not ill, I would've fucked you just to prove it." He noticed her avoiding his gaze shyly. Lowly, he let out a brief giggling sound. "I'm just kidding. I won't do anything to you until you're all recovered and of course, with your permission." Her ears turned pinkish as she turned her head aside pretending to look at the clock on the wall. "And to answer your question, no, I am not going to work today. I am the boss. Who's going to fire me? Me? Or my dead father? I doubted he would be able to crawl out of that deep grave just to do so."

She shifted her eyes back to focus on him before replying softly, "Don't say that." He finished rolling his sleeves as she continued speaking in a more defensive tone. "That's disrespectful. He was your father after all."

"If only he ever saw me as one of his sons. Whatever it is, I'm not going to get into that today since you're not physically well." He responded and then shrugged his shoulders. Giselle heaved out a loud sigh giving in to his behavior when he carried on talking. "Anyway, I've called for some Thai food takeout. I am not sure if you can eat it. I just know they have some plain rice with some soup or whatever the name of it is. It's better than junk foods to help speed up your recovery. I believe it should arrive sometime soon. After you eat it, then you can take your medicine. The doctor that came last night said to take it with a meal, so you don't get an upset stomach." She nodded shortly after he settled onto the bed next to her. His gazes were fixed on hers regardless of the change in his position. "Does it still hurt?" He asked, softening his tone. "The bruises on your face are not fading that much. I'm worried." He lifted his hand to tuck a strain of hair behind her ear before hovering his thumb over her brow and temple region. "This is..." He went speechless for a second before he found his voice again. "Fuck, I swear on my life that no hands will touch your skin like this ever fucking again. You can hold me to the oath that I made for you." She didn't say anything but nodded her head once again as memories of Kevinskey's hand slapped her recalled briefly. The touch from Dean brought her back to reality while he spoke. "I will just clean around the area. Tell me if it hurts."

Quickly he grabbed the small white towel and then dipped it into the warm water. He twisted it a bit too removed the excess water before turning back to face her. "It looks like you have a lot of experience with this kind of stuff." She commented after studying his hands' movements. They looked very skilled for someone like him to do something that is not within the scope of violence and blood. A smile crept up on his lips as he brought the towel closer to her forehead.

He pressed it gently against her skin while clearing his throat in a deep noise, which sounded similar to that of the growling sounds. For some reason, it unexpectedly made her startled. Surely, it was not out of fear. Her eyes traced up from one of his hands to his collarbones that peaked through the unbuttoned portion of his shirt. At that moment, she found herself second-guessing what may lay beneath that high-quality white fabric of his. Would it be the same old scars that she used to see? Or would there possibly be more new ones added to his collection?

During all of the periods that they have not been together, what could have happened to him? What changes to his body that she yet to discover? The need to find the evidence developed within her. The proof of every incident would be on his body. All it would take was for her to see it and catch it with her own eyes. Since in the hospital, Giselle doubted he was telling her the truth regarding the injuries on his face. Something must have happened that she did not know about. There was just something about him that she felt had changed.