Chapter 62

Dean tossed the two suitcases into the back of the car before he hopped in the driver's seat. "You ready?" He asked as he took Giselle's hand and brought it over to his lips. He kissed her soft hand gently when she nodded in return with a sad smile.

"I have to even if I am not." She said while she watched Dean's lips pressed against the back of her hand. "Focus on the road. Stop being so intimate." She scolded and then withdrew her hand from his grasp.

Dean giggled a little as he resisted to intertwine his fingers with hers. "I want to hold you for as long as I could." He murmured before he glanced at her and then back at the road. "Do you have any favorite singers or songs?" He asked as he rested his back against the seat.

"Not sure. Let me think..." After a moment of silence she asked, "What about you?"

"No, not really. My life is too bitter to relate to any of those romantic songs." He replied seriously. "How about you sing something for me?"

She took a deep breath before staring out the window. "I don't know. I just..."

Dean tightened his grip around her hand before he said, "Hey, let's try to enjoy the ride, okay? Put everything else aside. Focus on just us for now."

She straightened her lips before nodding her head slowly. "I will try."

"I don't believe you..." Dean murmured.

"I said I will try."

"Then sing to me about something. Prove to me that you are actually paying attention to me." When she didn't reply, he added. "Aren't you a nurse? Don't you think singing could be another therapy to help release stress? Sometimes even just screaming out loud, crying all out, and destroying things can help release your suppressed emotion. I wished to see you express something than nothing at all, Giselle."

"How can I be happy... after what I've just witnessed?"

"I can't force you to be happy." He said. "If you prefer silence, then I will stop talking." He turned to give her a small smile. "Anything you want."

After a long ride, Giselle decided to hum aloud for a song that played lowly from the car radio.

"Beautiful." He murmured.

She suddenly stopped. "I felt bad... I am not in a mood of singing now. But if it helps you... I thought it would be better for me to do something in return. After all, you were the one... doing everything for me."

"It'll help keep me awake driving at least."

"It's not a long drive, is it?"

"Of course not. But carry on with the song."

"No. I'm done."

He chuckled slightly. "What? Why not? I thought for a second that you are my number one favorite singer. I almost became your number one fan just now."

She smiled briefly and then argued. "No. You will be in third place. I have my other two friends that are my fans."

"Oh, really? Who are they? Have I ever met them?" Dean asked with a stolen glance.

She nodded and replied, "Yes. The one who treated your wound, her name is Dr. Luna Ma. Another one is Dr. Vincent Kim. He was the one with the broken leg, and you were basically walked into him in the lobby on that day. I really don't understand what's between you two. Every time you guys met, it was like you see your enemy."

"That asshole is a doctor? What the fuck." Dean swore underneath his breath before he felt Giselle pinched his hand. "Ouch! What's that for?"

"Why are you so mean to him? If it was not for him, I would've got kidnapped." She said at the same time she turned down the music volume.