Chapter 68

In a kitchen with the deafening sound of the range hood fan, Giselle made her way to stand near the counter. She observed the old lady who was draining out the boiling water from a hot pot of cooked spaghetti noodles. The awkward silence built up in the atmosphere between Giselle and the old woman. She glanced around, searching for something to do with the hope of making the situation less awkward.

"Auntie, do you have anything I can help you with?" She asked with a forced smile on her lips even when the old woman didn't bother to look at her. Mrs. Aldo placed the warm pot back onto the stove before she spun around to grab a bottle of tomato sauce. She ignored the young woman's voice who was trying to offer her help as she proceeded to take off the lid and dumped the sauce into the pot. Mrs. Aldo gritted her teeth in annoying because Dean Winchester's woman was not leaving her alone.

Being close to the Cobra's people will only bring her danger. The old woman hated the fact that her husband welcomed these mafia people into the house. Without looking, she turned around to place the empty sauce bottle onto the counter behind her. The glass bottle slipped off from her grip immediately before it started to roll off of the counter and smashed loudly onto the cold kitchen floor. The old woman jumped at the sharp shattering sound as she spun around on her heels to look at the broken pieces of glass.

Giselle rushed closer quickly and said, "Auntie, be careful. Don't walk over here. Can you tell me where a broom and a dustpan is?"

Mrs. Aldo stood still and stared with the hesitation to answer her. A few seconds later, the old woman replied through her gritted teeth. "In the bathroom's closet. If you go down the hall, the bathroom will be on your left." Her tone was filled with irritation as if she wished to have never said it.

The young woman didn't waste any more time besides sprinted toward the directed location. She returned with a broom and a dustpan before she knelt to start cleaning the floor.

While Giselle was brushing all of the broken pieces of glass onto the dustpan, the old lady bent down quickly to steal the broom and the dustpan from her hands. Giselle loosened her grip around the objects when she caught the piercing glare that the old woman was giving her. She felt confused because she didn't know what wrong she did to get treated with such a dislike. Without knowing what to do, she stood there frozen while she watched the old woman dumped the broken glass into a plastic bag and then placed it into one of the cardboard boxes.

The smell of the burned noodle from the top of the stove drew Giselle's attention. Before she could think straight, she found herself taking steps toward the stove and started to stir the noodle inside the pot.

"Are you serious? What do you think you are doing? This is not your house, young lady." The old woman raised her voice instantly the moment she spotted Dean's woman was stirring up her spaghetti noodle. She found it very bothersome that this young girl kept on trying to do things that were never her job. She shoved Giselle aside with force, and then leaned over to look at the noodle that was in the pot. She turned her head back abruptly and then scolded the young woman. "Get out. You're just adding stresses and causing even more troubles for me here. What more do you want to do now? Because of you, I broke the glass, and now my noodle is burned."

Giselle felt a lump formed inside her throat as she struggled to find words to reply. The words that were coming out of the old woman's mouth instantly brought back the memories of how her parents were once treated her. Useless. Unworthy. Those feelings struck her so hard that she found both of her hands started to tremble. What's wrong with me?  She wondered to herself, at the same time, that she closed her hands into tight fists to stop all of the emotion that was going through her. Why do I suddenly think of my parents? Why does this feeling felt so strangely familiar to me? She stood her ground for a few seconds meanwhile she stared back at the old woman whose brows were furrowing at her. A feeling of ashamed along with the guiltiness of being useless began to rise inside Giselle's chest. She swallowed hard and then decided to make her way out of the kitchen and back to the living room.