Breakeven

Arizona: Now, I think I'm ready to go in. Are you ready?
Y/n: I think I'm ready to do this together. We will get back to the way things were. I believe in that.

You walked into the therapist's office and took a seat next to each other on the couch. Arizona saw you were really nervous and took your hand in hers and intertwined your fingers.

Therapist: It's a good thing that you both decided to come here.
Arizona: We want to be our own selves and we think this will help us a lot.
Y/n: We want our relationship to be the way it was. It has changed a lot since we were in a car crash.
Therapist: I've heard about the accident. Hopefully these sessions will turn out to be a great place to air grievances and concerns and to also bring up the miscommunication that has led you up to this point. I want to try you to get a chance to clear up some stuff.
Arizona: Sounds interesting. How do we start?
Therapist: Arizona, you can start by telling all about the things you love about y/n.
Arizona: I love when she talks to patients like they're the only person in the room, that it's sexy when she bites her lip just a little bit as she looks at scans, how she does the voices while reading to our kids and I could listen to her reading stories all day for the rest of her life. Then there's the way she says she loves me when we go to bed and when we wake up. I also love it when she smiles when she sleeps and I love having that to be the first thing I see when I wake up every morning. There's so much more, but these things are the first things that came up in my mind.
Therapist: It doesn't matter how many things you say, what matters is that you mean those sings you say you love about your wife.
Arizona: I mean every word. I love so much about her, but something feels different.
Therapist: What do you mean? What feels different?
Arizona: Every time I try to be loving or want to come close to her, she turns her back on me.
Therapist: How does that make you feel?
Arizona: It honestly breaks my heart. We love each other, but right now there are moments when I'm scared to love her, because it feels like I hurt her with showing her my affection.
Therapist: Y/n, how does it feel hearing this?
Y/n: It brakes my heart. I know I've been pushing her away and I did that to protect myself.
Therapist: Why do you feel the need to protect yourself and from what exactly?
Y/n: I protect myself from getting hurt again. I promised myself to not get hurt anymore by someone else's actions.
Arizona: You know I would never hurt you.
Therapist: Please let her speak Arizona. What is your definition of getting hurt in this situation?
Y/n: With all I've been through, I think Arizona looks at me differently. To me it feels like she thinks I'm vulnerable and she is very careful, like I will brake any moment.
Therapist: And do you feel like you will brake any moment?
Y/n: No and I would like her to be protective of me, because I love that about her, but there's this voice in my head telling me to keep my distance.
Therapist: And we will try to find out why you really feel like this and how you can manage it. To me I only hear how much you care for each other and how much you love each other. Lets get back to the beginning. You already shared something you love about Arizona, but can you tell some other things you love about your wife?
Y/n: There's so much to love about her. She wants us to be happy again, even happier than we were before. The fight she shows, makes me love her more, but it also scares me at the same time.
Therapist: What makes you think that fighting for your love is scary?
Arizona: You can say everything you want. We are in this together.
Y/n: What if it has the opposite effect? What if fighting for our love will brake us apart? Something they say that less is more, maybe that's for us the same, but no one knows for sure what the right decision is.
Therapist: No one ever said that things go the way that suppose to be. The only thing we know for sure is that giving up is not helping for sure.
Arizona: So what do we do now?
Therapist: Maybe it's time to hit the reset button. You clearly love each other and you should find your feelings back from the beginning.
Arizona: So, how do we do this? What is the reset button?
Therapist: Have you ever considered taking some time apart?
Y/n: Time apart? Isn't that the last thing we need? We were trying to get back together right?
Therapist: It's not like a separation like you think. You've gone through so much. You're completely different people from when you first got together. It'll be helpful to re-discover who you are. It's more like you take a break from each other.
Arizona: Maybe we should just try this. Something has changed and we need to find out what is really going on.
Y/n: You're right. Lets try this to see if we can get back to the way it was.
Therapist: Most couples come to therapy for one of two reasons. Either one person wants out and needs help telling the other or they both desperately want to make it work and they want to fight to do it.
Arizona: We both want to make this work.
Y/n: Arizona is right. We want to fight for what we have.
Therapist: You will do it for an agreed-upon amount of time and then come back together to evaluate the situation.
Y/n: Are we talking about days, weeks or months?
Therapist: It's however long you both like and you will decide it now.
Arizona: Uhm. 30 days? A month, if that's okay with you?
Y/n: A whole month is long, but maybe it's enough to figure things out. How does this actually work?
Therapist: Since you have three children, for their sake, you have to live in the house together as parents, but living separate lives. Boundaries are vital. You'll make a schedule for childcare and stick to it.
Y/n: Are we aloud to talk to each other?
Therapist: No communication except for emergencies and things about your kids. Lastly, no intimacy. No s3x with each other or other people.
Arizona: 30 days. We can do this. I will sleep in the spare room, so you can stay in our bedroom.
Y/n: You don't have to. I can sleep in that room.
Arizona: You are still healing. You need all the comfort you can get and our room has every bit of comfort and the bathroom is attached to the room.
Y/n: Thank you babe. I haven't said it, but you look so pretty in this red dress. It's one of my favorite dresses. There's one more thing, can I have one last kiss? I will miss you.
Arizona: I choose this dress, because I knew you liked this one a lot. I will miss you too y/n. Come here for one last kiss.