Chapter 1.6

After that, Ford and Sabrina managed to escape to the private garden, catching an afternoon nap in the two-person hammock that took up half the gazebo while Kendara wandered nearby. Even after they woke, they were in no hurry to move.

"I like the unannounced homecoming," Ford murmured. "If no one knows we're coming, no one can schedule any meetings. We should do this more often."

"I thought we were going to be home for a while."

"Yes, but not forever. You'll want to take the baby to Earth, won't you?"

"If it's safe. I'm not sure we can, the way things are now. Though I do want Aunt Euphrasia and Cynthia to see the baby."

"Even with time travel, we have a limited window for Aunt Euphrasia," Ford pointed out. "You can't show up with a school-aged child in tow if she thinks we've only been married a year. And she probably won't live another decade."

Sabrina gave a long sigh. "I know. Maybe not even another year after the last time we saw her. She was getting more and more frail. Maybe we can ask Mara to do us a favor. The Kyan apparently haven't figured out how to keep her from going where she wants to."

"I hope they never do," Ford said. He paused, then frowned as he caught the sound of voices. "I'm firing the first person to disturb us."

Sabrina smiled. "Not if it's Ranja, you're not."

He gave an amused huff. "I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed to fire Ranja for any offense up to and including attempted assassination."

"I suppose I'd have to fire her if she actually assassinated you," Sabrina mused.

Ford laughed. "You'd be reluctant though!"

"No," Sabrina assured him, rolling onto her side to slide her arm across his chest and hug him. "Remember what I did to the last person who tried to kill you?"

"Vividly," Ford said. "Oh, shards. I was hoping that was a gardener, but it looks like someone much more annoying."

Sabrina raised her head. "Is that Hyan? She's changed her hair."

"What's she doing here?" Ford grumbled.

Sabrina returned her sister-in-law's wave. "Be nice."

"I haven't even seen my favorite siblings yet. Why do we have to start with her?" Ford muttered.

"Get up, please."

"Why?"

"So that I can get up. I hate having conversations lying down, except with you, of course."

Ford gave a dramatic sigh and managed to get up from the hammock without making it swing too wildly. Then he helped Sabrina to her feet, just as Hyannoria reached the gazebo.

"Welcome home!" Hyan said. "And congratulations! The Academy at Bathir has shut down for the day—nobody could concentrate after the announcement. They're already drinking toasts in the Assembly Hall."

"What were you doing at the Academy?" Ford asked.

"Oh, I'm teaching there. Since I'm stuck on Praxatillus anyway, I had to find something to do," she replied. "And Mother said I might as well live here and keep the staff occupied during term."

"Did she?" Ford said, not quite pleasantly.

Sabrina hurried to add, "I hope they've taken good care of you. I'm afraid they're all a little distracted right now, too. But your parents and my brother's family are coming to dinner—you must join us, of course."

Hyan laughed. "Thank you, Sabrina, but no. I'd far rather be safely back in academia than in the middle of a family party."

"How is Aselin?" Sabrina asked.