Chapter 7: The Siege of Praxatillus

"Ford's alive," Scotty announced as he entered the room, glad to have good news to give his King. "Sabrina sounded normal, and she wouldn't have otherwise."

"Thank you, Major," Baldaran said. "Now if we can only locate him. We need him to help analyze the distortion wave. All our vessels in space have been disabled and are struggling to maintain life support; we daren't launch anything else. The shipyards and orbital platforms likewise are suffering power problems. Our shield is holding, but the palace has suffered some physical damage from the tremors the wave induced."

Rigeon said, "Similar reports are trickling in as people get their communications arrays recalibrated. The entire planet shook."

"It had to be more than just that, though," Scotty said. "Anything that could destroy Khediva would have to be."

"Perhaps not," Baldaran said. "We do not know what repairs were being performed. If the Way engines were somehow affected—"

"They couldn't have been active while Khediva was stationary," Scotty protested. "It can't have been that. Besides, she would have been able to sense the wave coming, like we did. She would have shut down anything dangerous." He swallowed. "Sir, Subcommander, if you don't have another assignment for me, I'd like to analyze the data from Shipyard Three."

"I hardly think that is the most urgent task at hand," Rigeon said.

"It might be," Scotty said.

"What are you thinking, Scotty?" Baldaran asked. "That something happened other than what the shipyard reported?"

"I just think it would take more than a Kyan distortion wave to blow Khediva up," Scotty said. "Especially since everything else in orbit has survived, including a cargo ship that was mere kilometers away from Khediva at the time."

"It is also severely damaged," Rigeon pointed out, but she looked thoughtful. "You believe Wayship Khediva somehow escaped, with the explosion to hide that fact?"

"I'm hopeful," Scotty said. "She knew Bathir was under threat. No way in hell she takes the risk that she gets Bathir blown up with Sabrina in it. But she and Tirqwin would have been focused on getting away so they would have a chance to go rescue Mara. They couldn't communicate with us, but the answer's in the debris. The Kyan probably wouldn't bother to analyze it—they have their hands full with everything else. But they know we would."

Baldaran's expression lightened. "Scotty, you give me hope. If Father is alive, then Mother may yet come to our relief."

"We just have to hold on until that happens. Have we heard anything else?" Scotty asked, then remembered to add, "Sir?"

Baldaran smiled a little. "No, but they have not fired on Bathir, either. I hope Sabrina has managed to evacuate it by now."

"She would have been last one out," Scotty said, "so I hope so."

"You may analyze the debris, Major. I already have others working the lines of communication to evacuate potential Kyan targets," Rigeon said.

"I will leave you both to it," Baldaran said. "Please let me know the results of Scotty's analysis as quickly as possible."

"Yes, sir," Rigeon and Scotty chorused.

——————————

Sabrina knew the palace property included nearly a thousand acres of wilderness, a sanctuary for wildlife and a barrier against encroachment by the surrounding towns. But she had never envisioned trekking across it on foot, pregnant, sick, frightened, and without Ford or even his presence in their link.

The Groundskeeper guided them to one of the small shelters dotted throughout the wilderness area, used by the grounds staff during storms and wildlife researchers during projects, a journey that lasted into the night. They would not be able to stay there, but they could rest. Sabrina lowered herself onto one of the two narrow beds with a sense of weary triumph at not having collapsed until now.

"Just rest, your highness," Kendara advised, then turned to join the security huddle just outside the door.

Ranja dug through her pack and produced a water bottle and some ration bars.  "You need to eat," she said. "What would you like? We have berries, nuts, crackers, and ah—a protein bar." She handed the latter to Sabrina. "Baby will like that."

"Baby might, but I won't," Sabrina grumbled. "Could I have the water first?"

"Don't fill your stomach up with it," Ranja warned. "You're going to need to take in more calories since you've used so many today."

Merith entered the tiny, one-room shelter and waved a scanner over Sabrina. "Better than I expected," she said, smiling. "You are tougher than you look, your highness."

Sabrina gave the ghost of a grin. "I've had to be. Seuréa, how are you holding up?"

The Inheritor sat down carefully on the edge of Sabrina's bed. "Okay. I'm hungry though."

Ranja handed her a ration pack. "Here you are."

"Everyone should eat," Sabrina said, swallowing a mouthful of bland protein bar.

"Everyone else packed their own," Ranja said. "Don't worry."

"My back is killing me," Sabrina sighed.

Merith handed her a small capsule. "This should help. A massage might, as well."

"A nice hot bath would be lovely too, but I'm not going to get that either," Sabrina said. She tried her link with Ford again; the static wasn't as deafening as before, but it was still acting as a barrier. She sighed, then looked up as Stecklan approached.

"Groundskeeper Estess knows of a small community nearby where we can obtain a vehicle," Stecklan said. "He and I will return before daylight if at all possible. Kendara and Evis will set up a perimeter guard; Doctor Areyashanarll will be responsible for your last-line defense inside the shelter."

Ranja said, "I have basic security training, Subcommander. I can serve as relief for any of those positions."

"Thank you," Stecklan said. "That will help."

"Seuréa can sleep with me and Doctor Merith can have the other bed," Sabrina said.

There was an odd, thin whine, then a threatening rumble. Stecklan ran the three steps to the doorway, where Kendara was scanning the sky. They watched silently until Sabrina asked, "What is it?"

"An energy beam, deployed near the palace," Kendara called over her shoulder.

Sabrina made an involuntary noise of pain as Merith asked, "They're destroying it?"

"No; the coordinates aren't quite right. I think—ah. They're vaporizing the lake. It won't do the palace any good, but it won't affect our people inside the vault," Kendara assured her.

Ranja said, "We'll probably have to repaint when we get home. And replace some of the wood."

If they leave anything standing, Sabrina thought. "This is just the warm-up. I don't think we can count on ever going home again, at least not to that building."

Seuréa looked alarmed. "What about Palace Royal?"

"Dansestari's shield must still be up," Sabrina said, "or they wouldn't have bothered with us. I think Palace Royal is safe, sweetie. Don't worry."

"I wish I had my prism," Seuréa sighed. "And my walking shoes."

"We all wish we'd had time to pack," Sabrina agreed. She looked at the little girl's anxious expression and made an effort to lighten her mood. "But then it wouldn't be a real adventure, would it?"

Seuréa smiled faintly. "I never thought I would have an adventure on Praxatillus."

"Many people have," Merith said, sitting on the other bed and removing her shoes with a sigh of relief. "During the war, it was hard to avoid adventures."

Sabrina hid a grimace, but Seuréa looked curious. "What was it like?"

"I was about your age when it started," Merith recalled. "We lived in Pendarazloch. We had to leave our home when the Xoentrols took over the city. We had time to pack, but not much." She held up one arm to show a bracelet made of thin, silvery strands. "My mother took only this, her wedding bracelet; the rest of the things she carried were for us children. We walked for days."

Sabrina lay down on her side, and Seuréa followed suit, curling up behind her with one hand grasping a fold of Sabrina's tunic. They were both asleep by the time the young Merith in the story saw her first battle.