Chapter 23.1

Ford was a long time leaving the palace, and Cynthia was grateful for Sastarn's help in amusing the children. He'd been a bit hangdog since Lyrabeth had shooed him out of the laboratory where she was spending most of her time, telling him firmly that with the royal household short-staffed, he shouldn't be shirking his duties. Cynthia liked his usual easygoing humor, though she wondered what lay at the root of his stiff formality with Ford. But he and the children seemed to know each other, and they relaxed as he chatted with them.

When Ford emerged, he seemed composed enough. As the children clambered into the flyer, he drew her aside and said, "I've talked to the Deputy Chamberlain, and he's going to take over for you beginning tomorrow. I want you to go with Sabrina and Lily."

"All right," Cynthia said, taken aback. She hadn't known he was thinking of changing plans.

"It's no reflection on you," Ford said, taking in her reaction. "You've been a godsend. It's just that I want medical supervision down there—it's so remote. And Sabrina needs a friend after Selémahs leaves."

"It makes sense," she agreed. Then she grinned at him a little. "It's not like I'm going to turn down a beach house to come spend every day in the middle of rotting fish carcasses. Though it seems better today; the rain must have filled the lake a little more."

"It will get better," Ford remarked, mostly to himself. "Right now I need you to take over Corbin and Neralla's care. They'll be in Sabrina's custody, but she's in no shape to look after active children."

"Lyssara can help me," Cynthia said. She frowned at Ford's expression. "Isn't she coming?"

"I'm under some pressure to send her home," Ford admitted. "I keep putting it off, but eventually I'll have to do it. The new bodyguard seems to be working out, and I don't think Sabrina and I are giving her that much emotional support, much as I hate to admit it. Most of our siblings are at Dansestari, and they'll have more time for her."

Cynthia drew breath to say something, then thought better of it. She turned to get into the flyer's front seat.

"No, go ahead and say it," Ford said, a bit testily, as he got into the back seat with the children.

"I think she'll feel like you're sending her away because you're still angry with her," Cynthia said.

"I've told her I'm not."

"But you act like you are."

Sastarn began the preflight sequence as Corbin and Neralla climbed around the back seat, settling with Ford between them. He began fastening their safety harnesses, thinking about his reply. "Of course I am. But I know I shouldn't be."

"That's too complex for her to understand at her age," Cynthia pointed out. "You've already refused to go to Isiri's funeral."

"Look, if I could make everyone leave me alone for ten sharding minutes—" Ford burst out.

"Language," Cynthia said calmly. "And I understand your point, so you don't need to argue it with me." She glanced over her shoulder at his mulish expression and couldn't resist adding, "Just like you don't need to tell me the real reason you're sending me with Sabrina is that people have begun to gossip about us."

Sastarn didn't quite swallow his sputter, but Ford was too wrapped up in his own reaction to notice. "What?"

"Please. I've seen you narrowing your eyes at people I can't quite hear. It's my fault; I think of you as my friend's husband, not some almighty royal personage to be placated and humored."

Sastarn pressed his lips together and tried to swallow his laughter.

Ford let out a sigh. "Sabrina says it's good for me to have someone treat me like their equal. But it gives the wrong impression. I think that's why people gossiped about her and me long before either of us began to think about each other romantically."

"Probably," Cynthia agreed. "Relax. I mostly think you're an overbearing ass."

That was too much for Sastarn, who burst into guffaws.

Ford rolled his eyes. "I am reassigning you not a moment too soon. At this rate I'll be a laughingstock to my entire staff by the end of the week."

——————————

When they reached the hospital, Selémahs had already arrived and was helping Sabrina walk slowly down the corridor, gritting her teeth against the pain. Ford frowned and went forward, but Selémahs stopped him with a gentle smile. "It is good to see you, your royal highness. The doctors have instructed Sabrina to begin walking a certain distance every day; her body must become used to it. Whom do you have with you?"

Cynthia had kept a grip on both children's hands to prevent them rushing at Sabrina, but she felt them hanging back as Ford performed the introductions. Sabrina smiled at the children and greeted them by name. "Let me go sit down," she said, "and then you must come give me a hug and see the cats. And meet my daughter."

"Yes, ma'am," Corbin said uncertainly.

Ford and Sabrina were looking at each other in the way that Cynthia had come to identify as a silent argument. Then Sabrina sighed and directed her steps back to her room. The rest of them followed, and when Sabrina was settled in the chair, Cynthia let go of the children's hands. They went forward and hugged her, uncertainly at first, and then with smiles as she embraced them wholeheartedly.

Ford stepped close to Cynthia. "Get me an update on Ranja's condition."

"Sure," she responded, stepping out of the room.

What happened to Nerrill? Sabrina thought anxiously.

Missing, Ford responded. I'll alert the militia to be on the lookout for him.

But you're not hopeful.

No. It's been too long. I've taken custody of the children; they'll go with you.

Sabrina held his gaze a moment more, sharing his distress, and then turned back to the children, who had each claimed a cat and were snuggling with them on the bed.

Selémahs came over to Ford and put her arms around him. "I am glad you are safe," she said. "And I must tell you how deeply sorry I am about your sister."

"Thank you," Ford said. "I'm glad to see you are well. How are my nephews and niece?"

"Thriving. They were never frightened; we told them we were taking a vacation to see the Trees, and they never knew there was danger."

"Good."