sad beautiful tragic

"You open it." "No you open it" "No you-"

Adeline woke up to whispering outside her door. Still groggy, she sat up to look when suddenly her door bursts open.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" Adeline's parents yell.

"It's like six a.m. guys. Did you really have to wake me up for this?" Adeline replied with a groan.

"Adeline it's noon. And it's your birthday, so we're gonna celebrate. And you're gonna be grateful that you have two parents who want to spoil you on your special day" Adeline's mom began to rip the covers off of her bed forcing Adeline to get up and to start getting dressed.

Adeline never cared much for her birthday. She always felt alienated on the day. Like time no longer existed and she was moving through the void. She always cries, every year, without fail. But for the past six years it was her parents favorite day. So Adeline put up with their antics and excitement. It was the least she could do. Tomorrow, September 1st, she'd be leaving for another year at Hogwarts- which subsequently was her parents least favorite day of the year.

Adeline's parents were both muggles. They were not the clueless but supportive muggle parents, nor were they the excited and curious muggle parents. No they were the type to pretend wizardry and magic didn't exist. Because to them it was the devil's work and Adeline needed to be saved. However, their praying could not stop Adeline from going to Hogwarts, so instead of throwing her out on the streets, they decided to pretend that Adeline was normal and went to a normal boarding school. It was better for their sanity.

"You almost ready honey?" Adeline's mom popped her head into the room. "We've made you your favorite lunch!"

"Yeah Mom I'll be out in a second"

She just had to get through this day and then she'd be back at Hogwarts and no longer pretending to be someone she isn't.