anti-hero

The next day was James and Lily's first date.

The girls and boys were split amongst their respective floors.

The girls were scrambling to help Lily pick out an outfit and do her hair and makeup.

The boys were helping James make sure his plans were set, plus helping him with his outfit and hair as well.

In short, there was chaos in the Potter Household.

"Peter, if you ask me that one more time I am going to eat you tonight when you transform." James huffed.

"Aren't deer supposed to be herbivores?" Sirius asked.

"Yes, yes they are." Remus sighed.

"All I asked was if you were nervous. Because we want to help ease your nerves if you are." Peter explained.

"Of course I'm bloody nervous Wormy. This is Lily we're talking about. She's perfect."

"Prongs you can't think like that. If you want a relationship with Lily you can't put her up on a pedestal. You know she would prefer you to think of her as an equal" Remus lectured.

"Just treat her like any of the other birds you've pulled." Sirius suggested.

"Treat her better than them actually." Peter clarified. "You weren't always the best boyfriend."

"I was never official with any of those girls. Lily is different. I want this to work out. I bloody need this to work out." James said softly.

"You just need to relax a bit Prongs. I'm sure she's nervous too." Remus reassured him.

************

Lily was very nervous.

"You look so fucking hot right now." Marlene told Lily.

"Are you sure?" Lily asked hopefully.

"Fuck yeah. James is going to faint."

"Good." Lily said looking in the mirror.

"You okay Lils?" Mary asked.

"Yeah." Lily said unconvincingly, "It's just- what if it doesn't work out? And it gets weird between us?"

"James wouldn't let it get weird." Marlene reassured her.

"But, we're all friends with him. And I'm friends with Remus, Sirius and Peter. What happens to all of us if James and I fuck it up."

"We hold a draft and each of you get to take turns picking who gets custody of who." Mary joked.

"Or we just stop including the two of you and form our own group." Marlene chimed in.

"Very funny, but I'm serious. They say you should never date within friend groups. It's always a recipe for disaster."

"Lily what would you do if Marlene and I broke up?" Dorcas asked, "You didn't think about that did you? You're right, dating friends can end badly but it can also be really, really good."

"You can't let the fear of it going wrong stop you from giving it a chance." Adeline chimed in.

Lily nodded, "It's 5:55. James wanted to leave at 6."