peace

Ever since Snape was released from the infirmary, Adeline was on edge. It had been weeks since then. He was released on November 2nd, now it was December 23rd and students were preparing to leave. Adeline hoped and prayed that Snape would leave the school. She wanted nothing more than a mere two weeks of peace from him.

She had her final Potions class before break and then Slughorn's Christmas Party that night (plus Charms but she never cared much about that class). Then while the majority of students went home for Christmas, Adeline would get the castle to herself.

She just had to get through today.

Potions went by easily. Slughorn had them try Draught of the Living Dead. Adeline and Dorcas completed the potion a mere two minutes before Snape and his partner Evan Rosier. She normally finished before him but this time he seemed angrier than normal. Slughorn reminded Adeline of the party that night as she and Dorcas packed up their things.

"The potion was a set up" Snape angrily told Evan as he left the classroom behind the girls. "I have a theory that it can be accomplished in less time if you just approach it differently."

"You get right on that Sev" Evan replied uninterested.

Later that night Dorcas was helping Adeline get dressed for the Slughorn's.

"I hate that the only party you go to is the one that I can't." Dorcas said with a sigh.

"I don't have much of a choice about this one. And I'd bring you along if Potter and Black's intrusion two years ago didn't ruin the plus one rule."

"Boys ruin everything."

"That they do."

"That's why I like girls."

Adeline laughed at Dorcas' honestly then stood in front of her mirror to check her look. She wore her white dress from Halloween (without the added accessories) and straightened her hair for once. "What do we think?"

"Stunning. My little girl is growing up" Dorcas responded while wiping away fake tears, "Soon enough she's going to be graduating then getting married and leaving me in the dust."

"We both know you and Mars would get married before me if you could."

"If only we were allowed I'd marry her tomorrow."

"Bitch you're 16 you better not even think about it."

"You can't tie love down with a little thing like age" Dorcas replied dramatically.

"That sounds like something a pedophile would say."

"Shut up you know I didn't mean it like that." Dorcas defended while punching Adeline in the arm.

"Yeah, yeah whatever." Adeline started heading to the door "I best be getting going. Wish me luck"

"Don't kill anyone."

"Depends on my mood." Adeline said with a laugh before leaving the room to go down to the party. The Slug Club parties are always extravagant and classy and are, in that way, better than common room parties, however they also have less people so it's harder for Adeline to hide.

"Miss Wilson!" Slughorn exclaimed as Adeline entered the party room. "Just the witch I was talking about."

"Hello," Adeline said shyly to the strange man standing with Slughorn.

"This is Hector Dagworth-Granger. He is the founder of the 'Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers'"

"Pleasure to meet you" Adeline said while shaking his hand.