back to december

"Tell me everything." Mary told Adeline as they sat outside alone eating their breakfast.

"Nothing to tell." Adeline replied taking a bite of a muffin.

"Mhm suuuuure."

"Nothing happened Mary. I mean he was nice as always. He stayed up until Meadowes fell asleep so she wouldn't try to run from me- which I am very butt hurt about by the way. But besides that nothing much. He kissed my forehead when he said good night and told me I was hot again, that's something."

"But you didn't fool around at all?"

"Nope. I made him put up a pillow wall."

"You're insane."

"Why am I insane?"

"Because you like him Addy. And he likes you. So just go for it."

"No Mary, I told you it isn't going to happen."

"You're seriously waiting until the War ends to get back together?"

"Who said we'll ever get back together? I'm just worried about surviving and making sure the people I love survive, that is my number one priority."

"You can have a happier existence than that."

"I don't need anything else. Getting back with Remus would be too much, maybe things will change when the War ends and maybe it won't. But my mental health and the kids are my focus. Not him."

"That's cold Addy."

"I get that, but it's what's necessary right now."

"Have you talked to your therapist about this?"

"We've stopped talking about Remus after I forgave him. Working on the childhood trauma now. It's taking a while."

"Well I say bring him up again. I'm sure she'll agree that you need to let yourself be happy."

"Mmm no she'll agree that I need to be less depressed to start a relationship."

"He could help make you less depressed."

"Or more." Adeline retorted as she got up from the table. "You should get going home, you have to work tonight."

"Ugh you're right. I wish I was on Christmas break."

"Christmas break is needed after being trained by Slughorn."

"Come on you love Slughorn."

"I do love Sluggy. He's the most disorganized person I know. But I love him."

"And you're gonna be teaching next year! That's so cool Ads."

"I hope, but without Dumbledore I'm not sure if my job is secure."

"With Dumbledore I'm not sure your job is secure."

"You know what- fair."

"I know. I really do have leave now."

"Of course babes, just apparating?"

"Yeah it's easiest."

"Okay time to say goodbye."

***************

The next week, Remus barely spoke to Adeline. They didn't have anymore sleepovers or banter or near kisses.

Adeline was quite frankly very confused about the change. But she kept busy enough with Harry, Ron, and Ginny that it didn't affect her much.