bejeweled

"ADELINE ARE YOU ALMOST DONE." James screamed up the stairs.

Adeline stood in front of the mirror in preparation of the night ahead of her.

When Euphemia said she was throwing a beginning of summer party, Adeline expected a barbecue with some sprinklers. Not a formal, catered event in their ballroom, which she didn't even know they had. She wore an old dress of Euphemia's and a pearl necklace that belonged to her mother. This was the first summer she's spent away from her family and while she was excited to be with the Potters, she still carried a piece of them in her hearts. And apparently on her neck.

"IM COMING HOLD YOUR HORSES." Adeline yelled while giving herself one final look over. She exited the room and descended the stairs. Her dress was light green and near floor length and her hair was up in a ponytail with the pink highlights recently removed from her time in court. She wore a pair of evening gloves, and Mary-Jane heels.

"About time Zipline, the guests will be arriving soo- Damn girl. Look at you." James said when Adeline entered the ballroom.

"Damn girl, look at you too." Adeline said jokingly.

"We clean up nicely." James winked.

"That we do." Adeline said while mock posing, "Where's Euphemia?"

"In the other room by the fireplace waiting for people to come in through Floo. And you know you can call her Effie like everyone else we know right? Or even Mia like her friends?"

"Mommy issues do not let me refer to adults in that way James."

"That's crazy what about-" James thought for a moment, "You're right. I have never heard you say Minnie or Poppy."

"I'd rather go to Azkaban than ever have to do that. I'm capable of first name basis, but not nickname basis."

"You'll get there. My mum will make you eventually. She's been really holding back."

"This is her holding back? I would hate to see her full force."

"Zipline, my mum has always wanted a daughter. Always wanted a house full of kids. She's trying not to overwhelm you or take your mum's place. But that woman has considered you her child since Remus first blurted out your trauma."

Adeline laughed at the memory from Christmas, "Your mum is great James; you're very lucky to have been raised by her. Monty as well."

"So you'll say Monty but not Effie?"

"I said I have mommy issues not daddy issues."

"So your father was better?"

"My father worked all that time, he wasn't even there for things like the exorcism."

"The exorcism??" James said suddenly concerned.

"Kids-people are arriving I need you to go greet them, Sirius is already over there." Euphemia said coming into the ballroom.

"Yes ma'am," Adeline said and then turned to leave.

"Adeline what exorcism???" James said following her.

Adeline only laughed in response.

************

Adeline, Sirius, and James quickly realized that adults were much more punctual than their friends. They spent an hour greeting all of Euphemia and Fleamont's friends until finally Lily and Peter showed. But they were still missing four.

"Let's just go. They'll meet us in there." James complained.

"Hell no." Adeline said staring at the fireplace, "If I have to go to this party, I am not doing it without Dorcas."