closure

Knock-Knock Knock Knock-Knock Knock

Adeline opened the door when she heard the secret knock. The kids left for the Christmas break the day before, so it must just be Aberforth.

"Silencio. Bad news." Aberforth said entering past her into the room.

"Ayo hold up! What do I get every Christmas Eve?"

"A shot. Stars is missing. She was attacked on the way home."

They had begun to use code names for everyone, even in private; Stars is Luna. "You're fucking me."

"I just got a letter from Seven." Ginny was given the name of Seven.

"Have you talked to her father?"

"Why would I?"

"Merlin you're a dick."

"I don't know the man! And no one can know we're helping out at Hogwarts. I'm already a target for being a Dumbledore."

"Yes but you also are a known hater of your brother and you own the sleaziest pub in the Wizarding World so that balances it out."

"Whatever. Are Wonky and Creeper coming back here?" Winky and Kreacher.

"No. They can't risk blowing their cover. They've been getting decent information out of the other house elfs."

"So it's just you, me, and Dobby this Christmas break?"

"Looks like it." Adeline nodded sadly. She'd give anything to spend it with the Trio and Remus. And she'd give even more to spend it back with the Potters, despite how much she complained about their traditions.

"Right. We aren't doing anything for Christmas are we?"

"No. At least I wasn't planning on anything."

"Me neither." Aberforth said relieved.

"Is there a way I can write to Remu- Romulus?"

"About what?"

"Stars. So he can keep an ear open if there's any new revelations."

"I'm sure the Red heads told him." That one wasn't even a code name- Aberforth just couldn't be bothered to know the Weasleys.

"Okay good."

"You just want to mail him anyway."

"Of course I do. But I won't."

"It's for the best Turnip. Now I should get back to the bar."

"Okay catch you later."

Aberforth just waved as he left the room and went back downstairs.

Adeline took a seat next to Dobby- who has been going stir crazy. "They need to find those damn Horcruxes Dobs."

"Dobby misses Harry Potter." He replied sadly.

"Addy does too." Adeline agreed.

************

Christmas ended as soon as it began. Adeline, Aberforth, and Dobby ate dinner together like normal. Nothing special on the menu. No gifts. No decorations. No knitting.

Adeline didn't even take a shot on Christmas Eve. Constant vigilance was too important.

In February, Adeline and Dobby had their first scare.

Their preparations came in great use. Adeline easily downed her Polyjuice Potion as Dobby could hide in a small, unassuming cabinet. She claimed to be a McKinnon cousin and got off free
of suspicion due to her extensive knowledge of the pureblood family.