the outside

The first few weeks of class went faster than Adeline expected and suddenly it was the first quidditch match of the season. It was Hufflepuff versus Gryffindor, so there was some friendly competition between Adeline and Dorcas as they sat in the library before the match.

"We're gonna win easily, we have a secret weapon this year." Dorcas announced.

"Oh yeah? Lemme guess... Black is going to play drunk this year?" Adeline replied knowing that he was probably already drunk.

"Nope our secret weapon is not even on the team."

"Did you fucking bribe Hooch into letting you guys win???"

"No Ady, Merlin we're not that bad."

"I never know what a Gryffindor is willing to do."

"It's Lily. Lily is the secret weapon. She told James she'd go to Hogsmeade with him if they win the cup."

"I have a silly feeling that Lily may go to Hogsmeade with James whether he wins or loses."

"Oh I agree, but James doesn't know that. Therefore, BAM! secret. weapon."

"Well, I guess I'll have to hex the blagner things so we have a standing chance."

"They're bludgers Addy. You've been watching quidditch for the last 6 years how do you not know this yet."

"Because I barely watch the game. I watch the people around me and just cheer when they cheer and boo when they boo."

"Then why don't you just cheer for Gryffindor- I would fly much better knowing you were in my corner."

"As much as I love you Dorcas, rooting against my house is social suicide and I'm already at the bottom of the totem pole."

"Well you're at the top of my totem pole." Dorcas glanced at the clock. "Shit, I gotta go. Warmups start in 20"

"See you after the game. Score lots of goals."

"They aren't goals, Adeline. That's football."

"Same difference, it's like football in the sky."

"How are we friends?" Dorcas said while walking out the library door. Adeline chucked a wad of paper at her and just missed, hitting Remus instead. "Well you weren't my intended target, but honestly I like this outcome better."

"Ha. Ha." Lupin said not stopping to talk.

"No witty remark? Have you finally accepted defeat. I might have a white flag somewhere I would love to watch wave one."

Remus turned and just looked at her. Letting Adeline have a clear view of him.

"Wow you look like shit Lupin. Is it your time of the month?"

In a way yes. Remus thought.

"I'm just not in the mood Wilson. Okay?"

"Alright. Sorry." Adeline felt genuinely bad for a second. She's seen him like this before, but this time he looked worse.

Remus was grateful that Adeline didn't push further. He liked fighting with her but on full moons he didn't have the energy. Especially a full moon on a Quidditch day. It didn't happen often but when the days aligned he was stuck in the Shrieking Shack alone. He decided it was too suspicious if Sirius and James weren't at the after Quidditch party since they were on the team. And Peter wasn't much use due to his rat animagus. So, Remus got to spend the day in anticipation for the shitty ass night he was bound to have. At least he'd have the match to distract himself a bit.

******************

Adeline stood at the back of the stands so she would have a clear view of everyone. She waved to Dorcas and Marlene on the pitch and then started watching her fellow Hufflepuffs around her. She felt movement next to her. She looked over to see what she suspected were two first years.