picture to burn

tw: blood and gore

A few weeks after returning to Hogwarts, Adeline was in the kitchens, staring at the potion she had created. She still hasn't tested it out, every time she went to cast the spell on herself she chickened out- remembering the pain all too well.

"Sectumsempra, sectumsempra, sectumsempra. It's not that hard Wilson pull yourself together." Adeline scolded herself while pacing the room.

She held the wand to her forearm and took a deep breath preparing for the pain, when the doors to the kitchen suddenly opened.

Remus Lupin walked in and a house elf immediately ran to him to see if he needed anything. He hasn't spoken alone with Adeline since the train. In group settings, they wouldn't ignore each other, but they wouldn't speak unless they had to.

"What are you doing?" Remus questioned Adeline.

"Just testing a potion."

"Oh, okay, I'll leave you to it then." Remus took the hot chocolate he'd asked the house elf for and turned to leave.

"Actually, I could use your help." Adeline was shocked at the words coming out of her mouth.

"Really?" Remus turned back around.

"Yeah. You know when people skydive how someone else often pushes them out of the plane if they're pussying out? I need you to push me out."

"I mean that sounds kind of fun." Remus joked as he sat down the hot chocolate, "Is it a spell?"

"Yeah, I need you to cast 'Sectumsempra' on my arm" Adeline said trying to sound casual, but ultimately failing.

"No."

"Remus-"

"Absolutely not, are you a bloody idiot? You almost died Wilson."

"That was across my abdomen where all my organs and most of my blood is. This is just my arm. An arm won't kill me. And besides I need to know if this works." Adeline held up the potion that had been behind her.

"We already discovered we need to burn them shut. You can't use a healing potion on them."

"It's not a healing potion. Well not in the typical sense. I captured fire in it, then made it capable of targeting wounds."

"Really?" Remus reached out and took the potion to examine it.

"Well I hope. Hence the testing."

"Test it on me." Remus said rolling up his sleeves.

"No." Adeline said catching a glance at his forearms. He's surprisingly strong.

"Yes Wilson, you shouldn't have to experience it again-"

"But I have to so I can see whether or not the pain lessens. And so I can decide how to change the recipe." Adeline took the potion back from Remus, "Now are you in?"

"Are you going to do it on yourself if I don't?"

"Once I work up the nerve, yes."

"Fine then. I'd rather do it to you then you do it alone." Remus grabbed a towel and handed it to Adeline. "To muffle your screams."

Adeline put the towel in her mouth and set the potion on the counter next to her. She stuck out her arm and waited for the pain to come.

"Septemcrumpa."

Adeline gave a muffled laugh from behind her towel. She removed it out of her mouth. "It's Sectumsempra."

"Sectrumsentra"