dear john

The Second Task was less stressful for Adeline.

She had already had an idea of what the task was since Neville came to her asking for help finding gillweed. Yet she still clenched her fists and held her breath when Harry went under the water, but she didn't cry herself to sleep out of worry- so that was an improvement.

Shortly after the task, Sirius wrote to Harry to meet him in a cave on Hogsmeade weekend.

"Come with us!" Harry begged Adeline the morning of as Hermione and Ron nodded along.

"Harry I can't risk it." Adeline said shaking her head.

"But he'd want to see you! And you know you miss him too!"

"I miss him more than anything, but it's too dangerous."

"We'll be safe. Don't worry!"

Adeline looked across the trio's sad faces. "Look guys, I know I'm pretty open and casual with talking about my past. But Azkaban was the hardest thing I ever got through. I wasn't an Animagus like Sirius and I was jealous of him everyday for it. Because time moves quicker for animals, and they aren't effected by the Dementors. I had to feel the time moving, and I was greatly effected by those bitches. Okay? And it was the worst experience of my life and I seriously, no pun attended, can't risk going through it again. I don't think I'd survive it again- I know I wouldn't survive it again. Do you understand?"

"Yes." Harry replied softly.

"Which also means you can't tell him I'm out. Dumbledore has been doing a half decent job for once at keeping him in the dark; I can't have you messing that up. Okay? Like I told you before he'd sneak onto the grounds to see me and I can't have that."

"Yes ma'am." Harry nodded disappointed.

"Things will get better soon my fawn." Adeline said pulling him into a hug, "I know you want us to be a family and we will be. We just need to be patient. I want it just as much as you do."

Harry didn't respond, and Adeline didn't expect him to. She already knew he agreed with every word she said.

"Now you three go on. I'll be at Hog's Head."

The trio nodded and headed off to meet with Sirius as Adeline went to her favorite pub.

"Shirley Temple on the house please!" Adeline announced as she entered the building.

"No get out! I can't take anymore of your bad press." Aberforth grumbled as he began to make her drink.

"You're not still hung up about that are you?"

"I am very much still hung up about that. It was repulsive."

"Nobody believed it anyways, who cares?"

"My customers!"

"Oh yeah packed house today." Adeline said rolling her eyes and looking around the empty pub.

"It's empty because of you!"

A week prior Rita Skeeter published an article claiming that 'the Wizarding World's favorite adulteress has moved on from Sirius Black to the elderly owner of Hog's Head.' Adeline ignored the false article, but Aberforth claimed it ruined his rep- which was already terrible in Adeline's opinion.

"Yeah right. I've never been here on a day where it was actually busy."

The door opened up behind them and they both turned to see Draco Malfoy entering and then freezing at the sight of the two of them. He quickly spun around to exit the pub.

"Hold it right there blondie." Adeline called out as her voice stopped him in his tracks. "Come have a seat."

Draco complied as he could tell she wasn't asking.

"Another Shirley Temple please Abe."

"Yeah, yeah. You're paying for this one." Aberforth mumbled as he quickly mixed it and handed it to Draco. He went off into the back to give the pair some privacy.

"You've been avoiding me." Adeline told him pointedly.

"Yes." Draco agreed staring at the red drink in front of him.

"It isn't poisoned. Go on." Adeline waited until Draco took a sip before continuing, "So did your father find out I was working at Hogwarts?"

"Yes." Draco replied taking another sip- it was shockingly good.

"What did he tell you?"

"That you're a filthy mudblood whore who has no business being around children."

"Ironic." Adeline scoffed.

"How so?"

I said that out loud. Shit. Do I tell Draco his father liked little girls? That's a rather awkward conversation to have. "Not important. I presume you agree with your father that I have no business being at Hogwarts."

Draco faltered, "Well yes. Yes I do. I mean- you shouldn't- you aren't-"

"Did you listen to the music at all Draco?"
Adeline asked ignoring his stuttered response.

"I did." Draco responded quietly.

"Did you like any of it?"

"I liked the Beatles."

Adeline smiled sadly at that, "I always found them overrated."

"Then why'd you put them on the box thingy?"

"Because you never know. One man's trash is another man's treasure."

"Is that a Dumbledore proverb?"

"Hell no." Adeline laughed, "It's a muggle saying."

"Oh." Draco looked deep in though, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot." Adeline responded, terribly nervous at what he might ask.

"Why are you nice to me? Why do you care?"

"Well first off, we've already established I know your father. And you can defend him all you want, but I know he isn't a good guy, and I can't imagine he treats you well. Which leads into my second reason. You eerily remind me of someone I once knew, and I couldn't save him. I didn't try hard enough, I didn't really try at all. It's like it was a game to me, I didn't understand the seriousness of the situation. I regret it each and every day. I won't make that same mistake again."

Draco nodded in understanding, "Okay. I can't promise I'll make it easy for you."

"I wouldn't expect you to. After all I am a filthy mudblood whore." Adeline teased.

"Sorry about that."

"Apologizing is the first step." Adeline smiled, "I'm already making progress. Next I need to get you a cat."

"I don't want a cat?"

"Hmm I guess you aren't him reincarnated after all."

//an

short chapter
i decided to use neville like the movies instead of dobby like the books bc i love neville and want him to have purpose

now for some housekeeping:

first: sorry for the wait, just been busy with college blech 🤢 until finals are over it might just be weekend updates which is so lame but maybe i'll post more than once a day on weekends to make up for it idk

second: the school years probably aren't going to have that much content and go by pretty quickly so sorry if you like hogwarts content, i'm just not a big fan of fluff and like to get into the action

third: THANK YOU FOR 1k VOTES THATS INSANE also number 1 one in the marauders tag???? crazy crazy

and finally, i just wanted to say that a lot of people have added the story to lists called like 'favorites' or 'best of the best' and it inflates my ego so much. like slay. i love being the best 💅🏼

title description: lucius mention warrants a dear john title

okay that's all love ya<3