shake it off

"Detention, Harry? Really? Already?" Adeline scolded him.

"It's not my fault! That woman is crazy!" Harry complained.

"That's no excuse Harry, it's the first day of school."

"She was denying that Voldemort was back!"

"Who cares what some old cat lady thinks?"

"She represents the Ministry. Her beliefs are their beliefs!"

"But you yelling at a faculty member is not going to change her mind."

"At least I'm doing something!"

"Excuse me?"

"What would you, huh? Nothing." Harry's words were like venom in Adeline's ears.

"Harry James Potter don't you dare talk to me that way."

"I mailed Sirius about it and I bet he's going to be proud of me for standing up for myself."

"Hmm I don't remember caring about what Sirius thinks. As a fugitive he's not your guardian- I am so you better straighten up boy. And just for those comments, your Hogsmeade privileges are revoked for the next month."

"You can't do that!"

"Watch me. You need to learn how to keep your opinions to yourself and to pick your battles."

"You sound like the Dursley's right now!"

"Do you want to make it two months? Harry you need to realize that you're the fucking 'boy who lived' and whether you want it or not there are eyes on you. Just because Rita is gone now doesn't mean that you're in the clear. Do you want the reputation of a problem child who will pick every fight they can? You already give in to Draco's taunting all the time, and you need to learn patience. Fighting with your Professor is not worth it. And disrespecting me is never okay."

"Fine."

"I'm sorry I can't just be your fun godparent all the time like Sirius. Being a parent requires putting my foot down sometimes."

"Well you aren't my parent so."

She knew he was saying it out of anger, yet it still broke her heart. "You're right, but I can assure you that Lily would be sending you a Howler if she were alive."

"But my dad would be proud like Sirius from what you've told me."

"And your dad had more detentions than I could count. Sorry for wanting better for you."

"Whatever."

"Don't whatever me. Look me in the eyes."

Harry turned and angrily looked at her.

"I love you. And I believe that You Know Who is back. And I am sorry that Umbridge denied it. But don't go getting detention again for fighting with someone so insignificant. Especially on the literal first day of school."

"Yes ma'am." Harry said, anger still on his face but slightly lessened.

"Now go on and bitch about me to Ron and 'Mione."

"I wasn't planning-."

"Harry." Adeline said pointedly.

"Yeah I was."

"And that's perfectly acceptable. Healthy even."