everything has changed

Remus Lupin could survive breaking up with his girlfriend.

Remus Lupin could survive breaking up with his girlfriend because she was cheating on him.

Remus Lupin could even survive breaking up with his girlfriend because she was cheating on him with his best friend.

But when it came to thinking that his girlfriend- well ex girlfriend- and his best friend killed his other THREE best friends (plus had a part in a suspected fourth and fifth), Remus Lupin struggled to survive.

He hated himself for not knowing sooner. For not being around to know.

For missing so much of James and Lily's lives. For not being there for Peter.

Remus Lupin was broken.

He moved in with his father much before Mary came by for Adeline's things. He couldn't stand to be in that apartment.

Aberforth offered him a job at Hog's Head as a maid in the inn. He had no other choice but to take it.

Remus spent his days cleaning. And reflecting on what he could've done differently.

Adeline Wilson didn't know this, but Remus hated his mission.

"Albus, I just don't think it's necessary anymore."

"Remus, we need all the help we can get."

"The werewolves that trust me will keep trusting me if I cut back on my time with them. And the others that are just using me for Zippy's will never trust me and be on our side."

"Remus, do it for Adeline."

"There's no point in doing it for Adeline if she grows to hate me."

"Wouldn't you rather her hate you than be dead?"

"Yes."

"Then keep going it'll all be over soon."

Later than year, on a fateful Halloween back in 1981, Remus told Dumbledore he wanted to be done. Dumbledore asked him for just one more month. Then he warned him of Adeline's growing closeness to Sirius Black.

When Adeline put her hand on the door handle and exited the room, Remus internally begged and pleaded for her to come back in. But she didn't. She left.

Within the next 24 hours he had a Ministry Official knocking on his door giving him the news and asking a bunch of questions.

Remus Lupin was broken.

After the first two years of being alone, Remus ran out of his supply of Zippy's. He attempted to recreate the potion but was unsuccessful. There was a new recipe called the Wolfsbane Potion. Less effective; you must take it for multiple days prior to your transformation. And more expensive to recreate.

So Remus Lupin was back to his regularly scheduled transformations, but this time without James, Sirius, and Peter to keep him calm.

He kept to himself. Going to work and going home to his dad.

12 years later, Aberforth threw a newspaper at him.

"What is this?" Remus questioned looking at the front page.

"Your old friend escaped." Aberforth responded bitterly. He was just as devastated by the news 12 years ago. Not because he knew or cared about James, Lily, or Peter, but because he had seen Adeline as his child. Since his own child had been torn away from him and died many years prior.