santa baby

Adeline wouldn't let herself fall into a depression this time when Remus left. She kept having dinner with the Potters (even going to their house sometimes), hung out with the group, and visited Aberforth at Hog's Head. She went so far as to send a letter to Mary asking to catch up.

Mary doesn't attend many group hang outs anymore, especially since many were planned during and took place after Order meetings. Lily, Marlene, and Dorcas have asked Emmeline during meetings how Mary has been, but Adeline is never there to participate in those discussions.

Mary answered promptly and the girls decided to meet up in a local muggle diner.

"Mary!" Adeline said with a smile forming on her face as she got up to greet her old friend. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too babes." Mary said giving her a quick hug before they settled down at the table.

"How have you been?" Adeline asked.

"Good! Really good. I'm working in the Muggle world and it's been pretty refreshing."

"Smart, getting a Wizard job can be dangerous."

"Exactly, life as a muggleborn is not too great."

"Noit isn't." Adeline laughed and then the two girls were interrupted by the waitress. After they ordered their food Adeline started the conversation back up, "So how is Emmeline? I haven't seen her in forever."

"She's okay, she's a strong girl. We fight a lot if I'm honest, but it's because we both just care so much."

"Yeah I can see how the War would put a strain on things."

"Yeah it definitely does that," Mary paused before looking back at Adeline, "Wait did you say you haven't seen her in forever?"

"Oh yeah. I figured someone would've told you, but I don't get invited to the meetings. I just brew potions."

"Are you serious?"

"No but my friend is."

Mary rolled her eyes then continued, "Why on Earth wouldn't you be invited?"

"No clue. Aberforth tried asking him, that's Albus's brother, but he couldn't figure it out. My best guess is that he knows I don't trust him."

"You don't trust him?" Mary asked feeling hopeful for the first time in a while.

"No. I took your words to heart Mary, and tried to be cautious. I honestly didn't fully distrust him until he started acting so secretive. Don't get me wrong I don't think he's a bad guy or that he's secretly on You Know Who's side. But I do think he'd sell any of us out if it meant the War would be one step closer to ending."

"Addy you don't know how much it fucking means to me to hear you say that." Mary said with a slight smile, "I know I should be upset that you don't trust the man who like holds your life in his hands but Merlin did I need someone on my side."

"Well I am definitely in your side Mary. I mean there's no harm in what I'm doing at the moment. My life isn't immediately at risk just brewing potions for the Order, but I'm definitely hesitant. I just have no idea how Dumbledore can tell? Like I've barely spoken to him."

"He's an amazing Legilimen." Mary stated.

Adeline's eyes widen in understanding, "That makes so much sense. Bloody Hell. I never learned Occlumency. You guys did that in sixth year Defense."

"Remus would definitely be able to teach you. At least get you good enough that he'd have to actually pull out his wand and be obvious about it."

"That wouldn't be possible."