better man

Adeline sat between Dorcas and Lily at the funeral. She tried her best to stay strong, for James' and for Sirius' sake. Even for her other friends. She had known Effie and Monty for the least amount of time amongst them, yet in those mere two years she's known them, they had done more parenting and shown her more love than her birth parents.

They had expected James to be the sole inheritor of the Potter fortune, so when all nine teens were invited to a will hearing they were shocked to say the least.

They had to wait until March to have the hearing, due to Remus' required presence.

"Remus." Adeline announced as he walked into her apartment. She dashed straight to him and wrapped her arms around him. Letting herself fully feel her grief for the first time.

"Hi love, how are you holding up?" Remus asked softly as he held onto the girl.

"Not too great." Adeline tried to stop tears from falling, "I'm assuming you've heard the news?"

"Yes, Dumbledore always catches me up before I return." Remus lightly rubbed her back. "I'm so sorry for your loss Addy."

"It's all of our loss. Effie and Monty were apart of everyone's lives." Adeline replied while finally letting herself be released from Remus' arms. She examined the man that stood before her. He had new scars. He looked stronger. And there seemed to be a newfound confidence to him. "I should send a letter to James to let him know you're back so we can hold the will hearing."

"No need. Dumbledore was the executor; he said to grab you then head over to the Manor. He's already contacted the others."

"Oh." Dumbledore is just in everyone's business isn't he. "Alright, let me go change real quick."

"Be quick, we have to apparate over soon, they're expecting us."

"I don't apparate silly. But we can floo over." Adeline said as she headed over to her room to throw on different clothes.

"You don't trust me to apparate you?" Remus called over to her.

"I will never apparate again love. Doesn't matter who I'm riding along with." Adeline walked over to her fireplace after changing.

Remus looked down at Adeline's prosthetic which she had slowly grown more accustomed to showing. "Understandable. We'll work on getting you over the fear eventually."

"You're not home enough to help me get over that fear." Adeline teased with a slight attitude.

"Addy." Remus said with a warning tone.

"Come on love, we shan't be late for Sir Dumbledore." Adeline said sarcastically as she grabbed a handful of floo powder. "The Potter Residence."

As Adeline appeared in the fireplace, as Remus apparated nearby.

"Mr. Lupin glad you can make it," Dumbledore said with a bright smile before turning to Adeline, "You as well Miss Wilson."

"Wouldn't miss it." Adeline said with a tight smile before going on to greet James and Lily who had been staying at the Manor. "How are you doing Lily? And you Jamie?"

"Jamie?" James asked with a soft laugh as Lily responded she was okay.

"You're not the only one who can do nicknames." Adeline responded trying to lift up his mood.

"Jamie is kinda lame though."

"What about Bambi? No! Rudolph!"

"Rudolph is a reindeer." James scoffed.

"And? It's not like you're an actual stag, it's just your patronus." Adeline said knowing that he can't admit to be an illegal animagus in front of everyone. She assumed Lily knew, but the others surely didn't.