- 6 7 -

I adjusted my black blazer while Taylor watched me with narrowed eyes.

"So you're saying that he confessed his love to you?" She repeated my words for the third time, clearly not believing me.

I took a sip of my coffee, looking around the cafe before meeting her curious gaze once again.

"Yes, he did." I confirmed and watched as she leaned back in her chair, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Huh. The man's got balls, owning up to his feelings and not shying away like most do." She said rolling her eyes and I squinted at her.

"Yeah..." I drawled out when I noticed her looking at her phone for the tenth time.

"Are you waiting for someone?" I finally asked her and saw her eyes snap to mine.

"No." She sighed and sipped on her own coffee.

"Okay, what's wrong?" I asked her but she shrugged.

"Nothing's wrong. Why would you even think that?" She asked and I gave her an unimpressed look.

"Come on Tay, you've been really distracted this whole time except when I told you Adam loved me. The last time I saw you like this was when your mom announced your brother was moving in with you." I said and saw her shoulders slump while she stirred the spoon in her coffee mug, completely lost.

"Yeah, I know. It's just... Never mind, it's not important, I'm just being paranoid." She said shaking her head with a frown when I took her hand.

"Come on Tay, I know you well enough to know something is off because you're never like this. Is everything good back at home? How's Dylan? And your mom?" I asked her worried when she gave me a reassuring smile.

"They're good. Dylan's visiting, by the way." She said perking up a bit and making me smile.

"Really? When?" I asked her excited.

"Tomorrow, actually. He was just asking about you when I was on call with him before coming here." She said smiling.

"That's nice. We should meet and catch up." I said and she nodded.

"Yeah, we should." She said and I saw her face fall once again.

"Now back to the previous matter at hand. What's wrong?" I asked her.

"It's just... I feel like there's something off with Miles. He's really... disinterested nowadays or maybe I'm being clingy, but I can't help but feel like I've been doing something wrong." She admitted biting her lip and making me frown.

"Disinterested, how?"

"I mean, he isn't his usual cheery self like he was with me before. I thought it might be because of work but it wasn't. He always makes excuses when I ask to meet up and avoids me at work too, as if I'm the plague." She said frowning.

"Did you try and talk to him about it?" I inquired but she shook her head in a negative and mumbled a no.

"Tay, you know communication is key in a relationship." I spoke softly to her and squeezed her hand, watching as she averted her gaze.

"I know, but I'm scared. What if he's tired of me? What if he doesn't want me anymore and if just looking for an excuse to leave me?" She said sadly, making me frown.

"No, you will not think like that Taylor. You are the most amazing person I know and that Miles guy would be a fool for letting you go. I know it's scary to be alone, but I need you to take a deep breath and take the step, okay?" I said and she nodded.

"You need to talk to him and clear any confusions between you two and if it doesn't work out, I will be right beside you, no matter what. And trust me when I tell you this, you are not alone." I reassured her and noticed a real smile pulling on her lips for the first time today.