You Cant Run From The Past

While on a break from packing, I go to check the mail for Jasmine and Mr. Flores when I see something for me.

I furrowed my eyebrows and went inside before looking at the note for me spelling out

"You Cant Run From The Past" in different fonts from magazines. "Not today." I muttered, crumbling it up and stuffing it into the trash.

All the boxes, bags and suitcases I had were full and I was done packing.

I called Oscar to which it rang a little before being picked up.

"Oscar? I'm done packing. Could you come help me?" I asked. "Yeah and you're already finished?"

"I was packing all night and Jasmine helped at the start but fell asleep so I was on my own."

"Cute." He chuckled. "I'll come help you pack things in the truck and then we'll head back to my house. I'm still getting the last few things."

"Thank youu!" After hanging up, it didn't take longer than 30 minutes for him to get here. He was more hasty to pack things up considering the neighborhood was hot and the mere energy was shifted.

Back at his house, I helped him put things in the truck. "Did you tell everyone else you were leaving?" I shook my head.

"I was gonna tell them yesterday but everything had me side tracked." I told him. "You still have time. Call who you need to. The bathroom is free." I nodded and went off.

First, I called Jasmine but it went to voice mail. "Sorry, I couldn't say goodbye... I didn't want to wake you up... You're the best roommate ever and my best friend ever. I love you... Bye." I left a message and then went to call Jamal.

"Rise and shine to you too, cutie! What's up? Did Ruby text you a 911 text?"

"Um, let me check... Yeah? I can't deal right now, um, I didn't get to tell you but-"

"Hold on! Let me call you righttt back, I'm getting a call from Ruby."

"Ight." Jamal hung up. I dialed Ruby's next but no answer. I huffed and called Monse who answered quickly. "Yeah?"

"Oop? Why are you so out of breath?"

"Jogging to Ruby's house."

"Oh... Well, can you tell him and Jamal the news about me leaving please? Ruby didn't answer my call but Jamal did and had to hang up."

"Oh? Bet. Wait, you're leaving today?"

"I think. Oscar and I were packing the last things and-"

"N/N! CESAR'S COMING WITH!" I hear Oscar shout. "WAIT WHAT?...Cesar's here?" I asked him, before hanging up on Monse quickly.

I see Oscar and Cesar after I made it to the front room. "Holy shit." I ran up to Cesar and hugged him tightly. "You asshole. You're coming?"

"Yeah... Yeah, I am." Cesar softly squeezed me and kissed my head. "I'm sorry, Y/n."

"Me too, Cesar."

"This deserves a small drink before we hit the road. Let me get the good tequila. Shot glasses on the counter, yeah?" Oscar said, excitedly before heading outside.

Me and Cesar looked at each other before going to get the shot glasses. "All this anger between us, was the worst... I lost my sister, I lost my best friend... I never meant to hurt you." Cesar confessed.

"Yeah. I never meant to like... give up on you." I lowered my head down a little. "If I were you, I would've-"

There were multiple gunshots outside and Oscar screaming.

"What the fuck?"

"Oscar!"

"OSCAR!"

We went out to Oscar who was laid in the grass with bullets in his side and blood coming from his mouth. "Hey, did you see who it was? Who did this to you? TELL ME!" Cesar held Oscar. I quickly grabbed my phone and called 911.

"Hello? My brother! He's been shot! Please!" I panicked over the phone and went down to him. I wiped the blood from his mouth away, holding his side so he didn't bleed out.

The light in Oscar's eyes dimmed and it was clear he was gone. Cesar wailed and I just stared.

It didn't even feel real.

I gave the operator the address and the ambulance came fairly quickly.

It didn't make sense.

Cesar held onto me as they took Oscar away. I hugged him tightly while tears dripped down my face uncontrollably.

It was until one of the EMT's told us he was officially dead before my face twitched a little.

I covered my face with one hand and broke down, holding my brother tighter.