Grief

| FLASHBACK + POV SWITCH |

Eight year old, Y/n came out of her room ready for school but in a purple princess costume and a plastic tiara instead of normal clothes.

Oscar looked at her from the couch, squinting before laughing a little.

"Not halloween, princesa. You gotta get in school clothes." He told her.

"What? It don't have to be halloween for me to dress up like a princess."

"Did your mom tell you that?" He asked. "Yup, she said, I got to dress like a princess to thinkkk like a princess." She explained, and went to sit next to him.

"Well, you do match your backpack so hey, I'll let it slide." He said, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and squeezing her softly.

Cesar came out of his room in all black. "I'm Y/n's new bodyguard." He said. "Bodyguard?"

"All princesses need bodyguards plus... she threatened me." Cesar whispered the last part of his sentence. "Did not." Y/n giggled and covered her face.

"Thank you for your services for our princess but if she punkin' you there's nooo way you can protect her." Oscar laughed making the younger siblings giggle.

"Go walk to the bus stop before you're late, be good. Mi sol, take an extra pair of clothes so I don't have to deal with that. Cesar... keep an eye out for Y/n. No fightings, no insulting other kids, I won't be picking either of you up today, I have some shit to do." The young kids nodded.

He kissed the top of Y/n's head before pulling Cesar softly to do the same to him.

"Go, go."

| PRESENT DAY + POV SWITCHED BACK |

Me and Cesar made it to Bakersfield were Ray was. I kept my head down, not really wanting to talk while Cesar was beyond pissed now.

Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst by Kendrick Lamar played in my headphones at low volume. The only song that would bring me comfort at this moment.

Cesar believed those bullets weren't for Oscar but for him. Ray suggested to stay and he'll make some calls.

Once Cesar left the room, I stayed with my head down on the desk. "Y/n."

I raised my head to Ray and took one earbud out.  "Are you feeling the same way as your brother?" Ray asked. I put my head back down, and didn't answer.

"If I do, If I don't, it doesn't matter. You aren't gonna let us go if you think we might try looking for the trigger happy fucker who decided to do what they did." I answered.

Ray sighed and sat in front of me. I raised my head and wiped my face.

"I don't get it... It's not fair. He wasn't Spooky anymore he was just Oscar... Oscar gets way out of the game and what? Cuchillos gets ID'd and that's his fault? He has a pregnant fiancée with his first child..."

"He was in that life. They wouldn't care if he had a dying grandmother to take care of and was out of the Santos for years on end, they would've still killed him, mi sol."

"But that's not fair." My voice cracked. He looked down and nodded. "It's not but... well, that life isn't a fair one."

"That's not an excuse. He shouldn't have to die if he took all those hits to get out of that... Cesar has every right to be pissed off. Someone should go down. An eye for an eye. They... They took my brother away. I will take away who ever did this. I don't care." I got up and gathered my things.