An Unexpected Funeral

I got inside and saw that nobody was home so I decided to just chill out in my room and watch some cartoons. After I got out of the shower, my phone rang and I heard the front door close.

"Uhm, Hello?" I answered my phone while putting on grey sweatpants. "Can you come outside? I need to tell you something... Two things." Monse's voice sounded low.

"Oh, okay. I'll be out there in a minute."

"Thank you." Monse hung up. I paused my show and got up. Once I grabbed a hoodie and slides I hurried outside to see Monse standing on the sidewalk.

I walked over to her and saw small tears in her eyes. "Shit, what happened? The date didn't go so well? I can beat his ass if you want me too." I offered. Monse shook her head. "Don't be mad at me. I don't know if Oscar told you but-"

"You kissed him. I know. I was hella pissed but you can't control an emotional drunk woman." I joked. Monse's face stayed straight. "What was the second thing?" I put my hands in my pockets. "My mom... She's gone." Monse's eyes watered.

"Oh." I pulled her in a tight hug to try and comfort her. "I'm sorry to hear that Mons. You wanna stay over here tonight or something?" I asked. Monse shook her head. "I gotta tell my- my dad. You think you can come to the funeral with me or something?" I nodded.

"Yeah. Of course. Anything you need, I'm here. Good night." I wiped the tears from her face and smiled weakly. Monse nodded and walked off. I went back inside and went to check on Cesar. "You good bro?" I asked from his door frame.

"Yeah, um, I'm fine. Just... In shock. You know?" Cesar spoke softly. I walked in and sat next to him on his bed.

"Yeah, I know. I can't even imagine what she must be feeling right now. After everything, her mom put her through and now she's gone. Monse must be at least a little conflicted on her feelings... I don't know tho. I don't know if she's crying for a whole different reason than we think. It's only a gut feeling right now." I told him.

"You think so?" Cesar turned to me. I shrugged. "Maybe. I'm gonna head to bed tho. I love you." I hugged him. "I love you too. Good night." Cesar sighed and I went back to my room.

| THE NEXT MORNING |

I got up and put on a plain black dress and dress shoes and went to Jasmine's house before we went over to Brentwood. "This is crazy bro." I sighed as Jasmine was getting ready.

"I know right. Like, so sudden. I can't even imagine what must be running through her mind right now." Jasmine looked at me. "Maybe 'man, I wish I can get out of this fucked situation... That's my guess at least." I shrugged.

"You know, you shouldn't be vulgar during a mourning," Jasmine advised. "But Jas- You heard what those girls said Monse's mom said about her dad. That's fucked up. The amount of trauma and messed up thoughts in Monse's mind. I'm not saying she-"

"Y/n, get it together. Look, would you wish death on Oscar even though what he did was fucking traumatic and disgusting?" Jasmine asked. "That's two different things plus Cuchillos said-" I caught myself.

"Cucchillos said? You talked to Cuchillos?" Jasmine asked. "Nah, I'm just saying. I'm told that Cuchillos tells and gives Oscar orders he gotta follow for me, him, and Cesar." I tried to clear up. "Mmhm, look, don't bring no bad energy in there. There's enough-" "I know that. I'm not heartless, I'm not gonna walk in with an attitude or some shit." I snickered.

"I'm serious." Jasmine warned me. "I know you are. That's what makes this harder." I exhaled deeply. "Yo, Ruby hasn't texted you yet has he?" I asked. Jasmine groaned. "No! but you know what let's get ready to head out. Come on." Jasmine gestured for me to follow her.