Promises

Cesar and I got back home after the funeral and Oscar told us that Ray left again.

"He wouldn't leave without saying goodbye," I looked at the ground. "He did." Oscar told Cesar. Cesar got up and walked to him.

"What'd you do?" He asked. "I didn't do shit."

"Exactly. You didn't do shit. You could've helped him find a new job or something but instead, you chose not to." Cesar ranted. "I don't have that kind of power."

"Oh, bullshit! I bet this makes you so happy!" Cesar shouted. "Cesar shut the fuck up." I groaned. "Happy? I'm your brother. For most of your life, I've been your dad. If you're gonna be mad at someone, be mad at him. He's the one that up and left. Again." Oscar corrected.

Cesar started pushing Oscar, then stopped. "Monse was right. You are cursed. Everything bad that has happened to me is because of you."

"Can you fucking stop? You both do this back and forth shit every fucking time. All you two do is argue and for what?" Cesar and Oscar looked at me.

"Cesar not everything is about you and Oscar stop fucking taunting him. You are a grown ass man taunting a teenage boy who OBVIOUSLY has a few loose screws Mr. Hothead." I got up.

"I can't do this shit right now. Fuck him, and fuck you both." I flipped them off and went to my room slamming my door.

I called Jasmine who picked up almost instantly. "Hey, you okay?" Jasmine answered. "I'm coming over. Some shit is happening right now and I really can't deal." I halfway explained. "Oh, okay. The door will be open." Jasmine stated. "Thanks. See you."

I hung up. I put on black basketball shorts and a white t-shirt and stuffed my backpack with clothes and a pair of shoes and zipped it up.

After I put my slides on, I grabbed my phone and AirPods and put on music. I walked out of my room to see Cesar was gone and Oscar just sitting on the couch. "Where are you going?" I heard Oscar ask through my music.

I ignored him and walked outside. Once I got to Jasmine's house I locked the door behind me and went to her room.

Jasmine looked upset too. "You okay?" I asked in a soft voice. Jasmine shook her head. I set my bag down and sat in bed next to her. Jasmine held her arms out for me to hug her and I did just that.

"Cesar's dad left today," Jasmine hugged me a little tighter. "And Cesar and Oscar won't stop arguing. What if I just stayed home today or talked to Ray more? I turned on my word." I told her.

"What was your word?" Jasmine asked me. "I wouldn't care if he left just as long as Cesar wasn't too upset by it. But, I care and Cesar pissed me off so right now he isn't my priority." My eyes watered a little.

"What if it's my fault? Not Oscar, Not Cesar's but mines. All because I didn't communicate."

"This isn't on you. If it was, he probably would've left way earlier don't you think?" I nodded slightly and wiped my eyes. "What's with you?" I asked her. "Ruby drama I don't want to even get into right now." Jasmine sighed.

"You talk to Jamal at all after the funeral?" I questioned. "Mmm no. Why?" Jasmine cocked her eyebrow. "I don't know. Just wondering."

"You should see if he's still up." Jasmine let go of me and grabbed my phone from my pocket. "Hey!" Jasmine started going through my phone. "What's his name in your phone?" Jasmine asked and squinted at my phone.

"Give me back my phone ma'am." I struggled as Jasmine was holding me back with her other hand. "Found it!" Jasmine facetime called Jamal. "Jas, it's too late for this." I complained. "I just got out the shower but Y/n you wouldn't believe-"