Chapter Three: The Flight to Japan

JANUARY 12, 2006

AROUND 11:00 AM 

ON THE AIRPLANE TO TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                     MARIE

Christy and I sat together on the airplane in the same row once we got on the airplane. Khloe was in the room with the dogs and Alex was in a room with the cats. The couple in front of us offered to take care of Alex, but they knew that things would be better off with him in the cat room. The couple in front of us looked to be in their late 60s and told us that they were visiting their son to congratulate him on his engagement in Yokohama. "So," Christy began as I looked at her. "What do you wanna do once we get to Tokyo?" I began to think more about what I wanted to do when I got to Tokyo. "Maybe take a walk in the park during cherry blossom season," I answered. "I wouldn't mind doing a lot of things...except for going to the hot springs." "Ah," Christy nodded. "I understand. I wasn't going to try them either. Maybe I could try a shrimp burger from McDonald's." I made eye contact with Christy. "Don't forget about what I said." I reminded her in a firm tone. Christy nodded. "Yep, I remember," she assured me. "Marie, can I ask you something?" I nodded. "Yes, Christy. What is it?" I asked. "Why did you start acting scared when Mark brought up that thing?" she asked. I started to get confused. "What thing?" I asked. "You know," Christy answered. She started to hesitate a little bit. "When Mark started talking about him." "Who?" I asked. "Kira," Christy answered. 

We heard some people quietly gasp as everyone turned to face us. "Excuse me," said the old lady in front of us. "But what's all this talk about Kira?" Christy looked at her and didn't respond for a moment. She had no idea what kind of answer to give the old lady. Kira wasn't something that the public took lightly due to all the stuff that he did. "It's nothing," I answered trying to comfort the old lady. "Just personal." Everyone, including Christy, widened their eyes and started whispering about me. She tapped me on the shoulder. "Just personal?" Christy asked in a loud whisper concerned about what I told the old lady. "What do you mean by that?" I began to think about the nightmare I had about watching the news and seeing the ghost of Light Yagami. "What happened?" Christy asked bringing me back to reality. I shook my head. "Nothing," I answered. "Just a bad dream, I guess." 

After we all calmed down, the flight attendant came to us with two paper menus. "Hello," she said handing us the menus. "Welcome to the Flight 801 to Tokyo, Japan. Would you girls like something to eat?" I looked at the menu and tried to search for something I could eat. "Anyway, we're all out of fried fish so if you want some fish, it's gonna have to be grilled fish or salmon." I nodded. "It's okay," I told her. "I'm allergic to eating fish." "Oh," she said. "Okay." I looked back at her and pointed at the menu. "I'll have the hamburger with french fries and honey mustard please." "And I'll have the chicken tenders with fries and a Sprite please," Christy told her. "Excellent choice." she chuckled. The flight attendant looked at me. "And for you?" she asked. "I'll have a Coca-Cola, please," I told the flight attendant as she wrote it down on her scroll. "Okay." She looked at both of us. "Your meals will arrive shortly." She took the menus from us and walked away. All of a sudden, the flight attendant stopped in her tracks. She growled in frustration. "I just remembered that we're all out of grilled fish and salmon too." The flight attendant pouted as she made her way to the kitchen. Christy got out of her seat. "Excuse me, Marie," she said. "I need to use the bathroom." She walked out of our row and went to the bathroom. The old lady from the front row turned around and looked back at me. "You two still talking about Kira?" she asked. I scoffed and covered my face with my hands. 

A little while later, I place a movie disk into the little DVD player with a mini-TV hanging from the ceiling of our row. Seconds later, Christy came out of the bathroom. "What are you watching?" she asked as she came to her seat. "Just a scary movie," I answered. "Oh yeah?" she asked. I nodded without making a sound. "What's it called?" I stayed silent for a few seconds. "F-Final Destination," I answered. Christy slightly tilted her head. "Final Destination?" she asked. "Which one? The one with the car crash or the airplane?" "The one with the airplane," I answered. Everyone gasped and instantly turned in their seats to look at us. Christy looked at me dumbfounded and with her mouth wide open like Regina George's face from that one scene in Mean Girls. "What?!" she asked in a loud whisper. "You can't be watching that! We're in an airplane! What if this plane goes down?!" "It's not going to go down! There is nothing wrong with this plane! Final Destination is just a film!" I reminded her in a loud whisper. "Yes, but planes go down every year!" she argued back in a loud whisper. "The movie could be cursed to watch on an airplane!" She looked around the airplane. "At any moment, this plane could shake, this side could break, then the whole plane would burst into flames," she said like she held a bit of a grudge against me. "Aw, please." I protested. "The chances of this aircraft exploding would be..."