Chapter Thirty-One: About Marie's Shinigami

JANUARY 27, 2006

AT THE SAME TIME MARIE MET RYUK

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                         VINCENT

I stood there shocked after what I heard. I couldn't believe it. Marie?... She's the current Kira?  I thought to myself. I turned and looked at Kyrie who made a soft whimpering noise as she covered her mouth with her hands. I then turned and looked at my parents' bedroom to see that the door to their room was open. "What?" I asked. "Okay, who was wondering in my parents' room?" I asked. "Was it you, Marie? Or was it you, Ryuk?" "It was me, Vincent," I heard Marie answer. I didn't bother looking at her at that moment. Instead, I went up to my parent's room and closed the door.  After I did that, I turned around and sighed. "Anyway," I began. "All of you, to the living room. There are some things that we need to talk about." I ushered Kyrie, Marie, and Ryuk downstairs. "That's right," I let out. "Go, go, go." 

                                                                       MARIE 

After going downstairs, Kyrie and I sat across from each other when Ryuk followed us down the stairs. I looked up at him as he headed in my direction. "Is this spot taken?" Ryuk asked. I shook my head. "No," I answered. "Well, good," Ryuk let out right before he sat down next to me. I then looked away from Ryuk because I didn't want him to think I was staring at him. However, I also couldn't help but ask him a question. "It didn't hurt, did it?" I asked. "Hmm?" Ryuk asked as he looked at me. "What hurt?" "When I screamed at you?" I asked. Ryuk laughed. "No, dear child," he answered. "I'm used to it. Can't say that it was Vincent's and Kyrie's reaction when they first saw me." 

I sat there as I wondered how Vincent and Kyrie reacted when they first met Ryuk. "Well," Ryuk began. "Don't tell her yet, Ryuk!" we heard Kyrie command as we looked at her. Kyrie held up her Death Note as if she wanted me to take it. "Marie, please touch my Death Note," she begged. "You'll be able to see and meet my Shinigami too." I hesitated for a little bit, but with all the courage that I had in my body, I lifted my hands up and touched Kyrie's notebook. After I touched the notebook, I looked back up at Kyrie and saw a salamander-lady right beside Kyrie. I gasped and fell back on the floor as Ryuk caught me. "It's okay!" Kyrie assured me as she got up from her seat. "It's okay, Marie! She's harmless!" I got up right after Kyrie told me that. I watched as the salamander lady slowly approached me. "This is Midora," Kyrie told me. "She's a very nice Shinigami, too." 

Once Midora came up very close to me, she looked into my eyes without blinking. "Hmm," she let out. "For a Death Note user, you sure don't seem to handle first times meeting other Shinigamis well." "I'm sorry," I told Midora. "It's just that I've never met any other Shinigamis besides my Shinigami."  Midora continue to look at me and I felt very uncomfortable as she did so. "Well, what's your Shinigami like?" she asked. "Is it a guy or a girl?" "It's a guy," I answered. "He's just...different from all the other Shinigamis." "Different?" Kyrie asked. "What do you mean different?" "All Shinigamis are different in their own way, Marie," Midora told me. "Can you please tell me why he's different?" I didn't really know what to tell Midora since I knew that my Shinigami remembered everything as a human and also looked like a human. "Well," I began as I tried to think about an answer to give Midora. "He...he doesn't really go out much and prefers to watch me through his crystal ball." 

"Oh," Kyrie, Midora, and Ryuk all said at the same time. "Anyway, I still need to fix my makeup," I told them. "I didn't get a chance to fix it since Ryuk distracted me." "Hey!" Ryuk called out. "It's not my fault that I wanted to meet you. Your apples from the school were SO good." Midora sighed. "Sure they were, Ryuk," she let out. "Go right ahead, sweetie. Kyrie will tell Vincent all that's going on." "Thank you," I told Midora as I got up and made my way back upstairs to the bathroom. I opened the door to the bathroom and walked in to see a lot of ocean-themed stuff in the room. I walked to the mirror and dug into my purse for some black lipstick right when I heard. "Marie," I heard a familiar voice call out. I looked into the mirror and saw Ryuzaki through the mirror. I was shocked and didn't know what to say. "Ryuzaki," I let out. "What are you doing? Why are you talking...how are you talking to me through the mirror?"