Chapter 86 (P1): Getting Fired

MARCH 2, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 10:00 PM

                                                                                     MARIE

I was busy folding up clothes for the customers. I knew that we were more than likely going to have a busy day, but I hoped that it wasn't going to be packed. Thankfully, we never had any packed day. Just a few days where we would have more customers than usual, but never a whole store packed with customers. Anyway, I was still excited about what the day would bring. "Hey, Marie," I heard Sharla say. I looked up at her and smiled. "Good morning, Sharla," I greeted her. "What's up?" I noticed that she looked like she had some bad news. "What's wrong?" I asked."Is everything alright?"

Sharla sighed. "I'm very sorry to say this, but," she began before she gave me a piece of paper. "I'm afraid we're gonna have to let you go." I made a shocked look on my face. "What?" I asked. I was in utter shock and disbelief after I heard Sharla say that. "Why?" I asked. "What did I do?" Sharla sighed. "I don't want to hurt your feelings, Marie, but..." she began. "After what happened to Daeshim yesterday, people are scared to be around you. You were the last person to talk to Mei and Jirou before they were boiled alive. Not to mention that Pauline and Mamoru were around you before they died. People have become more aware of what's going on and they're scared to be around you."

I shook my head. "I...I never intended them to die," I told Sharla. "I didn't know that they were going to die and I didn't want them to either. Can't you keep me in the back of the store or something? I could help with the deliveries." Sharla shook her head. "No, we don't do those," she informed me. "Then what can I do to stop myself from getting fired?" I asked. Sharla shook her head. "Nothing," she answered. "There's nothing we can do about it. I don't know how many people died in that vision of yours, but to keep the peace, I'm afraid you can't stay here." I scoffed and shook my head. "Are you going to inform Mr. Mikami about this?" I asked. Sharla sighed and glared at me. "Maybe," she answered. "I never went to Kanto Region American High School so I'm not scared that I'm gonna die." I stood there feeling hurt by what Sharla had told me. "Goodbye, Marie," she said to me. "Good luck with everything." Not wanting to put up a fight, I walked out of the store. As I walked down the street, I placed my hood on my head feeling sad about getting fired. I don't know why people became more paranoid after Daeshim's death. Was it because of the broadcast last night? Then again, other than Kyrie, Vincent, Deku, and Sam, who else would know that I'm Kira?

AT 11:00 AM

MARIE

I was sitting in a Starbucks feeling surprised and saddened with how things were turning out. People became sensitive after Mei and Jirou died. When Pauline and Mamoru died, everybody thought that Pauline had murdered Mamoru before killing himself. After Daeshim died, people are now becoming more and more paranoid after what had happened. I heard the sound of a girl laughing with a guy. I lay my head down on the table and tried to ignore everything when all of a sudden...

"Hey, loser!" I heard a familiar voice say. Before I could react, I felt water being spilled all over me. I exclaimed as I felt the water soak me from head to toe. Seconds later, Saiko appeared in front of me. She laughed once she saw me. "Nice going, Monroe," Saiko said to me. I pushed my hair out of my face. "What is your problem?" I asked. Saiko made an offended look on her face. "My problem?" she asked. "You want to know what my problem is?" Saiko banged her fist on my table. "You exposed Geffrey to the public!" she barked. "That's the problem! Geffrey's now in juvie because of you!" "At least, Geffrey deserves it," I told Saiko. "He provoked Mr. Mikami into slapping him and got him arrested for something that he didn't do."