Chapter 70: A Fake Double Date

FEBRUARY 20, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 4:50 PM

                                                                                       MARIE 

I was busy getting myself ready to go with Christy and Steve on their date. I was pretty excited, especially since Near was coming with us. Even though we were just friends, Near wanted to tag along. Maybe he didn't want me to feel like the third wheel. Anyway, it's been a few weeks since we last hung out. I've wanted to hang out with him again and I hoped that the next time we hung out, nothing would go wrong. I wouldn't have to kill anybody just to protect a bunch of innocent people. The last time was a close call. Near could have found out that I was the current Kira and I could have got arrested. Luckily, I hadn't been caught and Near still had no idea that I was Kira. If he found out, I would hate to imagine what would happen to me. Our friendship would end right then and there. I couldn't imagine losing my friendship with him. I wanted to tell him that I was Kira, but since he was against Kira, I couldn't tell him that. 

I placed black lip liner on my lips so that my lips would be a darker shade of black. As strange as it sounds, there are so many shades of black. Charcoal, raven, ebony, jet, asphalt, etc. They were all beautiful. "Hey, Marie!" I heard Christy call out when I was done. "Are you ready?" I placed the lid on my lipstick before placing it into my purse. "Yes," I answered. I was about to unlock the door, but that's when I heard a noise coming from behind me. I stopped before I did anything. "Hey," I heard a guy say. I exclaimed as I turned around and saw a familiar face in front of me. It was Light! "What the hell," I muttered. "Light, were you in the bathroom all this time?" "Just slipped in seconds ago when you were applying your lipstick," Light answered. I sighed. "What is this all about?" I asked. "I know that you and Near didn't have the best of everything, but..." "I'll admit it," Light interrupted me. "I don't care for Near and it's not because he defeated me. Thanks to the Shinigami King, I can't kill him or use a human to kill him. The old fart placed a curse on me just in case I tried to have him killed or kill him myself." 

I took a step closer to Light because what he said piqued my interest. "What kind of curse?" I asked. Light shrugged his shoulders. "He didn't tell me," he answered. "He said that if I ever killed Near or have a human kill him with my Death Note, he'll make me wish that I never killed him. Knowing His Majesty, The Shinigami King doesn't play around. When I first came back as a Shinigami, I thought that I was officially going to be the God of the New World, and guess what the Shinigami King does." I thought about what I was going to say. "He cursed you so that you'll regret killing Near, right?" I asked. "Nope," Light answered. "Or at least, not yet. Instead, he puts me in handcuffs and makes me his prisoner." I felt a little bad for Light after he said that. Even though he deserved it, I still felt sympathy for him. "Sorry that you had to be cursed," I told Light. "I'm sure that the Shinigami King didn't want you to get into the same trouble as you did in life." Light chuckled. "You never know what the Shinigami King intends to happen," he told me. "Anyway, lucky for Near, I can't kill him or have a human under my watch kill him because when a God or Goddess of Death is cursed, they'll go through something hellish if they do what they are cursed not to do. If I were to kill Near or if you were to do it since you are under my watch, I would be punished." 

I got a little curious and serious about something. "If the Shinigami King didn't curse you, would you have wanted me to kill Near?" I asked. Light stood there and looked at me for a moment. He slowly shook his head. "No," I answered. "Or at least, it'd be up to you because you are Kira now." I shook my head. "I'm not going to kill him," I told Light. "Even if you were never cursed, Near is my friend and I'd never do anything to hurt him." Light shrugged. "Have it your way, Marie," he said to me. "You are Kira now, I'm just the Shinigami. I'm only supposed to stay with you until you give up ownership of the Death Note or if you were to die. As I said before, I can see your current lifespan and since you never made the eye deal with me, looks like it'll be a while before you die." I got a little bit frantic after Light told me that. "How long is my current lifespan?" I asked. Light sighed and lowered his head. "I can't tell you that," he answered. "It's for me to know and for you to find out."