Chapter 75 (PART TWO): Lunch With Sam

FEBRUARY 24, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 8:00 AM 

                                                                                   MARIE 

I sat in the bleachers with Light, Vincent, Kyrie, Daeshim, and Deku. "Did you hear about what happened last night?" Kyrie asked. "I don't know," Vincent answered. "What?" "Someone with a Death Note went crazy," Kyrie answered. "What?" Vincent asked. "All those people died because someone went crazy and wrote all their names in the Death Note," Kyrie informed him. "I don't know who went crazy, but Midora told me that this was the work of someone with a Death Note." I noticed that Daeshim and Deku looked a little tense after Kyrie said that. I knew very well that they weren't the ones who did it, but they still looked tensed up. "Marie, why is Light here?" Vincent asked. "He's here because I wanted him to be here," I answered. "Light and I slept at a hotel last night after the Other Kira ambushed us." Kyrie widened her eyes. "You two were ambushed by the same Kira that killed all of those people?" she asked. "How awful. Thank the Shinigamis that you are both okay." "Thanks," I told Kyrie as I smiled at her. "Anyway,..." I turned and looked at Daeshim. "How've you been Daeshim?" I asked him. Daeshim shrugged. "I'm not the one who killed all of those people if that's what you're asking," he answered. "She never said that you did, baby," Kyrie assured him. 

Rest assured, I knew that it was a girl around my age who killed all of those innocent people. "Why are you acting like Carter Daniels all of a sudden, Daeshim?" Deku asked. Daeshim kept that same look on his face as if he was upset with me. "Ever since we found out that you and Deku have the eyes, you've been acting like I did something wrong," I told Daeshim. "Why?" Daeshim shrugged. "Why does it matter?" he asked. "Why are you acting like this?" I asked. Daeshim looked at me with the same dirty look as if I had done something wrong. "What did I ever do to you?" I asked Daeshim. "You expect all Kiras to do the same thing that Light Yagami did before he killed innocent people, do you?" he asked. "Hey!" Light exclaimed as if he was offended. "What would you have done if you wanted to create a perfect world?" "Light, please," I tried to calm him down before we drew any more negative attention to ourselves. "Thanks to your Shinigami, Marie, we now have to live in a world where we have to hide our Death Notes, do we?" Daeshim asked in a mocking tone.

 "Hey, that was the '90s," Light answered. "It's the middle of the 2000s and the world has changed since then. You still have to hide your Death Notes regardless. The '90s may have been a different time, but they weren't that long ago. I became Kira almost six years ago. It's not even close to the ten-year mark already. I'm pretty sure that the 2010s will be bright and futuristic just like we imagined it would be in 1999." I sighed and facepalmed myself. "More like a disastrous decade," I muttered to myself. "You thought what we did was lame in the '90s, chum?" Light asked. "The '90s were the best decade of my life." I sighed and placed my hand down. "Can the both of you please stop fighting?" I asked. "We're in public." "Well if you hadn't have..." Daeshim was about to finish his sentence but Deku held him back. "Stop," he begged. Daeshim turned around and saw Deku shaking his head. "It's not worth it," he told Daeshim. I watched as Daeshim sat back down next to Kyrie and Deku.

AT NOON...            

                                                                           MARIE 

After a few hours at work, it was time for lunch. I didn't know what I was going to eat for lunch, but anything other than fish would do. I didn't mind eating out like always, but I knew that if I got an unhealthy meal today, I would get salads for the rest of the week...excluding Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. "Well," I said quietly to Light. "Worktime is over. It's time for lunch." "Mmm," Light let out. "I'm starving. That hotel breakfast was good, but I'm craving something else for lunch. How about some French fries or some onion rings?" I nodded. "Sounds delicious," I answered.  "How about you catch up with Vincent and Kyrie since Daeshim and Deku are having lunch on their own?" I felt Light's eyes on me. "I don't understand why Daeshim hates you all of a sudden," he said to me. I looked at Light. "Don't say that," I told him. "Daeshim and I are on the same team, but ever since we found out that he and Deku obtained the Shinigami eyes, he's acting like Carter Daniels from Final Destination. I don't know why. Daeshim never treated me like that before so it's strange."