Chapter 64 (PART ONE): Burn or Swim

FEBRUARY 18, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 7:00 PM 

                                                                          KAITO (MR. MIKAMI) 

Once the elevator stopped on the 11th floor, I darted out of there and ran straight to the room where my students were. As I was running, I heard screaming coming from one of the rooms. "Hold on!" I told the girl in the room. "I'm coming!" I ran straight to room No.#128 and banged on the door. "Let me in! Let me in!" I shouted. "It's Mr. Mikami!" I heard Testuya shout. "Let him in!" I heard Alexander shout. Not long after that, the door opened and I was greeted by Tetsuya. "Mr Mikami," he said. "Thank goodness you're here." I sniffed something in the air. It didn't smell right. "What is that smell?" I asked before I shoved Tetsuya out of the way and sped into the room. Once I opened the door to the bathroom, I gasped when I saw a bathtub filling up with water and a sink on fire. That's what I was smelt before I came into the room. The bathroom was on fire! I watched as Issei and Lucy tried to put out the fire which was in the kitchen sink. 

"What happened? Why is there a fire?" I asked. Lucy turned around and looked at me. "I'm sorry, Mr. Mikami," she answered. "I was practicing for the second act and I accidentally dropped a lighter. Issei and I have been trying to put out the fire to no avail." I looked at the fire and saw that it would spread if I didn't do something about it. "We've tried to put it out using water, but it always manages to come back," Issei informed me. "What do we do?" I made a serious look on my face. "I need you all to get out of the room!" I answered. "Get out of the room and call 119!" 

                                                                  THIRD PERSON POV 

Tetsuya tried to call 199 to no avail. "Guys, my phone isn't working," I said. "Mine isn't too," Alexander added. The two actors turned around and saw Issei along with Lucy running out of the bathroom. "We've gotta get out of here!" Lucy cried. "Everyone save the costumes and get out!" All of the actors hurried to the closet and got all of their costumes before evacuating the room. 

                                                                          MARIE 

I ran onto the elevator and pressed a button so I could close the door. Normally, I wouldn't do that because I would usually allow people to pick their floor first before I did. This time, things were different and I needed to find out what was wrong without any time to spare. I looked at all of the buttons and that's when another vision flashed before my eyes. I saw the number eleven before I flashed back to reality. "Eleven," I muttered. I pressed the button to the eleventh floor and the elevator made its way up. I tried to wait patiently for the elevator to get there, but it felt as if it was taking forever. I didn't know what was taking the elevator so long. Even though I was on the first floor, it shouldn't have taken that long to get to the eleventh floor. I hoped that I wasn't going to get stuck since the elevator was moving very slowly. As if something was trying to stop me from intervening in the situation. "Come on," I muttered impatiently. "I don't want anyone else to die tonight." 

MEANWHILE...

                                                                    KAITO (MR. MIKAMI) 

I tried to find a way to put out the fire since it was spreading pretty fast. Since it was in the kitchen sink when I first came in, now it was all over the kitchen and everything that was centimeters away from it. Damn, I ain't no firefighter. I thought to myself. I looked at the bathtub and saw that the handles weren't on. "Oh no," I muttered. Without a fire extinguisher, I decided to pour water on the fire with the hope that it would go out. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. The water didn't go straight to the fire. Instead, it just plopped right down by the fire without touching it. "What?!" I asked out of confusion. "What the hell?!" I filled the same bucket with water and aimed it at the fire to no avail. "No!" I complained. "No!" I filled up another bucket and aimed it at the fire only for it to repeat for the third time. I growled. "Damn it!" I shouted. I calmed down. "Calm down, Kaito," I said to myself. "Maybe a fourth time is a charm, not a third time." I turned around and filled another bucket of water when I heard the sound of something falling.