Chapter Forty-One: A Little Bit of Trouble While Grocery Shopping

JANUARY 30, 2006

AROUND 4:50 PM

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                                     MARIE

I was in my room reading my book Bram Stoker's Dracula in complete silence on my bed right when I heard the door open. I sat up in my bed and saw Light with Dean in his arms. "Hey," I greeted him. "Hey," Light greeted me back as he petted Dean on his head. I watched as he went up to the chair at my computer desk and sat down in it. "How's Ryuzaki?" I asked. "I don't think he's come out of the guest room ever since you made that comment about us kissing." Light sighed. "He's fine," he answered. "He's just being moody right now. And to be honest, he's in Christy's room, not in the guest room." "Ugh!" I scoffed as I got up and headed to the door. "What are you doing?" Light asked me. "I'm going to get him out of Christy's room," I answered. "No, sweetie, don't," I heard Light say right before he blocked my way to the door. "Ryuzaki just needs some alone time," Light continued. "Just leave him be." 

I sighed. "Okay," I went straight back to my bed and laid down on it. For about a minute, Light, Alex, and I were in a room filled with complete silence. "So, do you wanna watch a movie?" I heard Alex ask. "Meh," I answered. "Maybe later, Dean," I heard Light answer. "It's been a crazy day so far." I sighed and sat up in my bed. "Light, can you please tell me why you were in an onsen filled with a bunch of naked women?" I asked. "Why do you care?" Light asked. "Because I know that if Misa were to find out then she would probably get pretty upset," I answered. "I know that if John was bathing in an onsen with a bunch of naked women, I'd get pretty upset." "Heh," Light let out. "Only except you two aren't a couple anymore." "Well, yeah," I said out loud. "But that's not what I'm trying to get out here. I mean, it seems like you were very faithful to Misa in life..." 

"I wasn't," Light interrupted me. "Huh?" I asked. "There was another girl named Kiyomi Takada and I'm pretty sure you've heard rumors about me cheating on Misa by going out with her, right?" I nodded my head. "Yes," I answered. "Are they true?" I watched as Light nodded his head. I got pretty mad once I heard that. "Are you serious?" I asked. "Oh my God, can't you even imagine how Misa would react." Light chuckled. "If she had the Death Note, then she would have killed her," he answered. "She said that if she saw me with other girls, then she would kill them." I dropped my jaw once I heard that. "What are you saying, Light?" I asked. "Are you saying Misa was the Second Kira all along?" Light slightly turned and gave me a serious look on his face. "Yes," he answered as he nodded his head. "And she was more powerful than I was because she had the Shinigami eyes." 

I made a confused look on my face. "Shinigami eyes?" I asked. Light nodded. "Mmm-hmm," he let out quietly. "What are those?" I asked. Light turned and faced the computer desk and chuckled. "Allow me to tell you," he answered right before he turned around in the chair. I watched as he continued to stroke Alex's fur. Alex kept purring as Light kept stroking his fur so I assumed that he liked it when Light did that. "Anyway," Light began. "When someone has the eyes of a Shinigami, then they can see the lifespan of another human. However, to gain the Shinigami eyes, the human must give the Shinigami half of their remaining lifespan. For instance, if a human was supposed destined to die at one hundred, they would die at the age of eighty. And if they lose ownership of the Death Note, they lose their Shinigami eyes as well. To make that deal again, the owner must give the Shinigami half of their remaining lifespan again, which would have them destined to die at the age of sixty." 

I held my mouth open and softly exhaled after Light said that. "So...if I were to make the Shinigami eye deal with you," I began. "Would I die sooner than what I was originally meant to die?" Light nodded his head. "Yes," he answered. "But you'll be able to catch the bad guys more easily since you can see their names. So...what's it going to be, Marie? Are you willing to give me half of your remaining lifespan in exchange for the Shinigami Eyes?" "I don't know," I answered. For me to gain the Shinigami Eyes, I'll have to be able to give up half of my lifespan, but what if I was meant to die young or at the age of forty? What if I was meant to die at fifty, seventy, or if I'd make it to one hundred? Maybe I shouldn't make the eye deal with Light, just in case I was meant to die at a premature age. I thought to myself.