Chapter 81 (FINAL PART): A Surprise For Kira

FEBRUARY 28, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 12:50 PM

                                                                           MARIE

I walked into the house still feeling down. "There she is!" I heard Light shout. I watched as he, Ryuzaki, Khloe, and Alex ran downstairs. "So, how did it go?" I made a confused look on my face. "How did what go?" I asked. "Lunch with Christy and Steve," Light answered. I sighed. "Fine, I guess," I answered. "Fine?" Light asked. "Just fine? It's your birthday and you love going out to eat. Now you come back saying that it was just fine?" "Restaurant food isn't going to fix anything, Light," I told him. "I don't know what's going to convince Ms. Hirota to go into hiding like I am." I plopped down on the couch and crossed my arms. I heard Light walk up to the couch and sit down right beside me. "Well, what can Ryuzaki and I do to make you feel better?" Light asked. I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know," I answered. "What would you do if you and your favorite teacher's girlfriend were going to be raped by a biker gang working with your worst enemy?" Light sighed. "Well," he began. "I've never been in any situation like that."

I turned and looked at Light. "See?" I asked. "That's the problem. My problems are different from your problems, Light. I don't need to spell it out for you." "Ryuzaki, can you and everyone else go back upstairs please?" Light asked. "Marie and I need to have a serious conversation right now." I looked at Ryuzaki and saw him nod. "Alright," he answered. I watched as he, Khloe, and Dean went back upstairs. Light and I looked back at each other after they went back upstairs. "I don't know what it is, Light," I began. "But when you were Kira, people wanted to work with you. They wanted to be you. Just think about it. Misa, Teru Mikami, and Kiyomi Takada. They all wanted to be with you by your side helping you create a better world. And now that the title has passed on to me, I've made friends, I've made enemies, but Rina just makes things hard!" Light placed his hands up. "Now, now," he said attempting to comfort me. "Chillax. Back when I was Kira, things weren't always that easy. When Misa was arrested, I had to give up ownership of the Death Note and tell Rem to give the Death Note to someone who would use it for personal gain."

"Personal gai...?" I asked. I made a shocked look on my face when I realized that the person whom Light was talking about was the worst Death Note user of all time. Kyosuke Higuchi. "You told Rem to give the Death Note to Higuchi?" I asked. Light nodded. "Mmm-hmm," he answered politely. "Why?" I asked. "That guy's a disgusting creep. Not to mention, I'm sure Misa had to pretend to Marie that..." I quivered once I realized that. "Ew, so gross!" I complained. "I feel so bad for Misa now and I can't even imagine what it'd be like if that creep had his arms around me! Ack!" Light chuckled. "Calm down," he told me. "It's not like he's gonna come back as a Shinigami soon and if he did, you wouldn't have to worry about him hurting you. I'd make sure to punch him until his face turns to Kool-Aid if he ever lay his eyes on a maiden so fair as you." I giggled after Light said that. I sighed after I was done laughing.

Light smiled after that. "You laughed," he said to me. "So I did," I replied pushing my hair behind my ear. "Why?" "I like that laugh," Light answered. I chuckled. "Thank you," I told him. "So, what do you think you'll do once you're reunited with Misa?" Light's smile slowly faded after I said that. I stopped smiling when I noticed Light doing that. "Are you okay?" I asked. Light didn't answer. Just sat there looking like he felt a little sad about something. "Light, are you okay?" I asked hoping that he would answer. Not long after that, the doorbell rang. I had no idea who was there at the door. It wasn't nightfall just yet, but I was scared that Rina might have changed her plans. I gasped and sat back on the couch. "I think you should go get that," Light told me. I looked at him with the same scared look on my face. "It's okay," Light assured me. "Whoever is at the door won't be able to hurt you. Not if I'm here."