Pre-Chapter Fifty-One: Ryuzaki's Beef/Light's Flashback

FEBRUARY 11, 2006

EARLY EVENING

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                                  MARIE

I unlocked the door to my house and walked inside. When I came inside, I found Ryuzaki sitting on the couch eating ice cream. "Hey," I greeted him. "Hey," Ryuzaki greeted me back. I closed the door behind me and locked it. "Woof!" I heard Khloe bark. I smiled when I saw Khloe running down the stairs. "Khloe," I said happily. Khloe whimpered happily as she came up to me. "I know, I missed you, too," I continued. Khloe turned and looked at the door. "No," I told Khloe. "Christy's as a sleepover tonight, but she'll be back tomorrow. Now, go get Ryuzaki." Khloe barked happily and ran up to Ryuzaki. "Oh no," I heard him mutter. "Khloe, don't. Khloe, no!" I turned and saw Khloe pounce on Ryuzaki giving him a good amount of kisses. Ryuzaki pouted as Khloe continued to kiss him. 

"Here," he told her. I watched as Khloe turned her head and saw a bowl of ice cream. "It's just plain vanilla. Now get off." I watched as Ryuzaki placed the bowl of ice cream on the floor and saw Khloe look straight at it. To Ryuzaki's luck, Khloe got off of him and the couch so that she could eat the ice cream. I continued to watch as Ryuzaki sat up on the couch and sighed. "So how was the funeral?" he asked. "Horrible," I answered. "Both Mei's parents and Jirou's parents treated me like I caused this." Ryuzaki didn't respond but just looked at me with this tense gaze. "I never caused any of this," I continued. "I didn't ask for any of this either. All that I wanted was a normal life..." Ryuzaki glared at me after I said that. "Okay," I continued. "A normal life for a witch. I didn't ask for a Final Destination in real life situation." 

"And I didn't ask for my father to die either," Ryuzaki added. "Long story short, that's life, Marie. Sometimes, bad things happen and there's nothing you can do about it." I sighed. "I know, but I didn't think anything like this would happen," I told Ryuzaki. "It's a really scary coicidence due to what happened to my school." "Sure it is," Ryuzaki added. "I've been through a situation like that once. An accident occurred and someone very close to me died not long after." "Watari?" I asked. I watched as Ryuzaki shook his head. "No," he answered. "Someone else." I went to the couch and sat by Ryuzaki. "Then who?" I asked. Ryuzaki sighed in annoyance and looked at me. "I don't want to get into who that was," he answered in a cold tone. I looked at Ryuzaki with my eyes and my mouth wide open. I knew that Ryuzaki was different from the hero I dreamt about, but I never thought that he wouldn't be that nice to me.

 I mean, we haven't gotten along that well. Even if it seemed like we were getting along, we would usually kind of act like we never liked each other afterward. It seemed like my relationship with Light on the other hand was going really smoothly. All that I needed to do was do whatever he wanted me to do and not kill people who weren't criminals (or truly evil inside) so that he wouldn't kill me. Even though Light and I were getting along so well, I could at least try to get along with Ryuzaki. I had no idea why it was so hard. Was it because I am the current Kira and this is very hard for him because he used to want to catch the original Kira, who was Light? Or did he just simply not like me? Either way, I wouldn't be offended about it. I didn't have a goal to make Ryuzaki fall in love with me so that we could basically be so into each other like Mr. Mikami and Ms. Hirota. Neither did I have any plans to fall in love with Light. Yuck! There was no way I was doing that! I was bringing him back to Misa, not stealing him from Misa. 

I sighed as a million thoughts wandered in my mind. "I wonder where Light is," I commented. "He's investigating what could have caused the onsen that your friends were in to boil." 

MEANWHILE...

                                                                               LIGHT