Chapter Twenty-One: A Broken Spell and Light's Magic Mirror Call

JANUARY 23, 2006

AROUND 6:30 AM 

TOKYO, JAPAN 

                                                                                    MARIE 

I sighed and lay down on the bed with the outfit I was going to wear at school today. "Well," I began. "I don't know anybody who owes a Death Note other than myself, but maybe I'll get to meet someone one day." I looked at Light who was sitting in my computer chair eating an apple. "Right, Light?" I asked. "Maybe," he answered right before he took a bite of the apple. "If there are any people who owe a Death Note, then they at least wanna kept it hidden because of what I did. There are many people who wanna use it for good and evil." "Why did you go evil and kill Raye Penber along with Naomi Misora?" I asked. He shrugged. "Eh," Light let out as he tried to think of an answer to give me. "That's because they could have exposed me and since I didn't have any experience with witchcraft, I had to eliminate them." I glared at him Light he said that. "Hey!" Light said in an offended tone."I told you I didn't know how to use witchcraft, magic, sorcery, and all that kinds of stuff witches use!" He paused for a moment. "That's the truth," Light continued. "And the truth can suck sometimes." He continued to eat his apple. 

I sat up in my bed and straightened out my Diva Destruction T-shirt which had the album cover for Passion's Price which was released back in 2001. (Two years after Kira a.k.a Light Yagami came into power.) I had this T-shirt ever since I was fifteen. I got it from Hot Topic with my allowance money for helping my grandma a.k.a my dad's mom with the chickens and helping her cook meals. I spent most of my allowance money on helping my grandma with Goth band CDs, Goth band posters, Goth band T-shirts, Gothic clothing, and dark makeup. I've been into Gothic literature since I turned eleven and got into Goth music when I was fifteen. "Well," I began."I'm just glad the spell I used to erase Chief Matsuda's and Commander Aizawa's minds along with everybody else's minds worked." Light swallowed the pieces of the apple that he had in his mouth after chewing them for a while. "But what if something happened like that again?" he asked. 

Light held out his hand as if he was expecting me to give him something. "Give me your Death Note," he commanded. "It's too dangerous to be carrying it in your backpack at school. I've already told you this." Without any hesitation, I unzipped my backpack and gave my Death Note to Light. He opened the notebook and tore a few pages out. "This is all you need," Light said offering me the pieces of paper from the Death Note. "Only use it when you have to...or else, I'll write your name in the Death Note." I didn't respond negatively or say anything to Light as I took the pages from the notebook and placed them into my backpack. After I did that, I headed to the door and opened it, but before I could walk out. I turned around and looked at Light. "I'll see you after school," I told him. He didn't say anything but made a slight smile on his face right before I turned around and closed the door. I smelt something good from downstairs and followed the scent of deliciousness coming from the kitchen. 

I was surprised to see that Christy was still backing sweets. I tilted my head in confusion and didn't say anything for a minute. Christy turned as she was stirring something in the bowl. "Ooh, good morning, Marie," she greeted me. "G-Good morning," I greeted back awkwardly. I looked around and didn't know what to think about Christy still baking sweets. Hopefully, The Sweet Snatcher won't come back anytime soon. I thought to myself. "What's with the sweets?" I asked. "Oh, nothing," Christy answered. "Just felt like baking again today. Thankfully, there isn't anyone in the house stealing our sweets anymore." That's when the lights flickered and went out. "Marie?" Christy asked. "Are you still there?!" "I'm still here," I answered. "What's going on?!" Christy asked in a panicked tone. "And why is it so cold in here?!" I shivered and tried to warm myself up. "It's fr-fr-fr-freezing!" I heard Christy complain. That's when I felt that there was someone between the both of us. "Christy?!" I asked. "Why does it feel like someone's here with us?!" We stayed silent for a little bit as we shivered in the kitchen. That's when we heard a guy's voice coming from right where the sweets were. "Mmm, more cookies and cakes," the guy said. "This must be the best thing about coming back to Japan."