Post Chapter Forty-Three: How to Kill When You're In a Cafe

FEBRUARY 3, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 11:40 AM 

                                                                          MARIE 

I was busy eating my chocolate sundae as Near ate his chocolate sundae. Like last time, I had some dark chocolate skulls on my ice cream. "Dark chocolate skulls?" Near asked. I looked at him and nodded. "That's pretty interesting," Near continued. "It's best to say that this cafe is pretty creative with its sweets, desserts, and ice cream. "Rumor has it that this is where my favorite model Misa Amane would usually get her strawberry sundae," I told Near as I pretended like I didn't know that the rumors about Misa Amane were true. Just then, Near looked at me as if he wanted to tell me something serious. "Marie," he began. "About what you said about Misa Amane...there's something that I want to tell you." "Oh?" I asked. "What is it, Near?" Just then, Near shushed me. "What I'm about to tell you," he began quietly. "You can't tell anyone about this. I have no idea what Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa would do if anyone outside of the Task Force or the SPK knew about this, but that's why I have to tell you this quietly. But before I do, you have to promise me that you won't tell anyone about this." 

I nodded. "I promise, Near," I told him quietly. "Now what is it that you want to tell me?" Near sighed. "Due to the public, it's not the easiest thing to say," he began quietly. "But Misa Amane...is very much alive. She's in the Shibuya Mental Asylum. From what I've heard, she was going to commit suicide by jumping off a building, but Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa stopped her. Ironically, she went there to try to kill herself, only to almost slip off the safety rail screaming that she didn't want to die. Right after she was rescued, Misa was arrested and placed behind bars. Her arrest was made in secrecy so nobody would have known what just happened. Once in jail, Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa came out with a message saying that Misa committed suicide, but they didn't disclose how she did it so that people would believe them. In jail, Misa went crazy in prison which freaked the officers and the other inmates that were with her out. So, Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa had no choice but to place her in a cell at the Shibuya Mental Asylum. Only people who are affiliated with the Japanese Task Force and the people who work at the Shibuya Mental Asylum can visit her." 

I looked at Near with a look on my face like I already knew about this which made him get a little unsettled. "Marie?" he asked in an unsettled tone. "Why don't you seem more surprised that I'm telling you a secret?" I hesitated and scratched my head. "And why are you hesitating?" Near asked. "I'm sorry," I answered. "I just...am really surprised on the inside, I'm just..." I stammered as I tried to think of a lie that I could tell him. "I heard this theory before on the news," I continued. "That's why I don't look surprised." Near glared at me once he heard this. "It wasn't my idea that this rumor was placed on the news," I told him. Near sighed and wiped the glare off of his face. "Sorry," he told me. "I'm not very sure you'd wanna meet Misa Amane." I made a confused look on my face. "Why not?" I asked. "Well," Near began quietly. "Because she became a different person after Light died. Officer Mogi visited her in the asylum, but all that he saw in her was hatred and anger. Officer Ide's sister didn't have a very pleasant meeting with Misa Amane as well. She became very aggressive with her and even tried viciously attacking her." 

I dropped my jaw and felt my heart drop when I heard this. I always knew that Misa wasn't the same ever since Light died, but still, I couldn't believe how crazy she went. I mean, trying to attack a police officer? What had become of her when Light died? "Anyway," Near began quietly. "I'm sure you know that the documents were accidentally leaked and now the whole world knows that Light Yagami was Kira. However, there are others who believe that Light was innocent all along and that Teru Mikami was the real Kira. Civillains have asked Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa which story is true, but they won't give out an answer. It was intended that Light was going to be someone who died trying to catch Kira and that the real Kira had disappeared.