Post-Chapter Twenty-Nine: Ryuk Dreams of Rem

JANUARY 27, 2006

AROUND 8:30 AM

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                              RYUK

I was upstairs in Vincent's room sleeping in Vincent's casket-styled bed as I dreamt about the Shinigami I loved, but couldn't be with now that she was gone. I was very saddened that Rem was gone, but I always loved going to sleep and dreaming about her. My dreams about Rem made it feel as if she was still alive and didn't write the name of Mr. Wammy and L's name in the Death Note to save Misa, but alas, she did it to save Misa. I now had a new human to look over. Vincent Pierce...and I couldn't really recall this feeling that I felt for him. I wanted to keep him safe from danger...just like how Rem wanted to do the same for Misa.

The song, "Con Te Partiro" by Andrea Bocelli played through my mind when I saw Rem standing there underneath a sky of a white full moon and numerous white, red, and purple stars someplace in Italy. Everything felt so real and I got really emotional that tears started to form in my eyes once I saw her. "Ryuk?" she asked. I approached her slowly and caressed her left hand. She softly gasped as I lifted her hand up and kissed it. I watched as she placed her right hand over her heart. "Ryuk?" she asked. "What is the meaning of all this?" I gently placed her hand down and looked into her beautiful yellow eyes. "I love you, Rem," I told her. "I'm sorry that it took so long." Tears streamed down my eyes. "Why are you crying, Ryuk?" Rem asked. I shook my head. "It's nothing, my dear," I answered. "I just had a bad dream that you died." Rem looked at me with an intense gaze. "Well," she began. "It was only just a bad dream. And of course, there's something I really need to tell you too."

"Yes?" I asked. "What is it that you want to tell me, Rem?" I felt her gently caress my hands and I felt really warm at that moment. "I love you, too, Ryuk," Rem told me. "I've always loved you. I was just so scared that you would reject me." "I would never, amore mio," I assured her. "I promise that I'll always love you from now until forever." A smile formed on Rem's face before she leaned forward and kissed my lips. If this is a dream,...please don't allow me to wake up. I thought to myself.

                                                                  VINCENT

I was in the living room with Kyrie and Midora when I heard opera music from my room upstairs. "Ugh!" Kyrie complained. "Where is that opera music coming from? Is that Ryuk again?" I saw Midora and Kyrie cover their ears. "It's so loud!" Kyrie continued. "Well, leave him be, dear," Midora reminded him. "He's probably asleep and dreaming about Rem again." Kyrie sighed and lowered her head. "Okay," she reluctantly agreed. I shook my head and sighed. "That's it," I let out. "Red, come with me, boy." I heard Red bark before he joined me as we went up the stairs so that we could tell Ryuk that the music that he was playing was too loud.

Red and I went up the stairs as the music just got louder and louder. "Oh, Ryuk!" I complained under my breath. "I get that you miss Rem, but you really shouldn't play the music that loud!" Once I got to the door of my room, I opened the door and looked up at the ceiling. I saw all of my pet bats hanging from the ceiling and covering their ears with their paws. I sighed. "I know," I told them. "It really is too loud." I looked at my casket-styled bed and saw it closed which mean that Ryuk had to have been sleeping in it. I went up to it and creaked it open. Sure enough, I saw Ryuk sleeping in it. I didn't know he was able to sleep with the music that loud, but nevertheless, I went over to my computer and stopped the music right when it was about to end. That's when Red jumped in the casket and I heard Ryuk screaming. I turned to my right and saw Ryuk getting up. He looked at me with an annoyed look on his face. "Vincent, that's the last time you ever wake me up like that when I'm dreaming about Rem!" he complained.

"Sorry," I told him with my hands up. "It's just that the music was too loud." "You really need to just turn the music down, then," Ryuk complained. "Don't get Red in here to wake me up like that." Red turned around and jumped out of my casket. "Geez," Ryuk complained as he got out of my casket. "I was having the most wonderful dream about Rem and then you and Red had to go and ruin it." I felt a little bad when I heard Ryuk say that. He went to my computer desk and sat down in the chair with a sad look on his face. "Do you want an apple?" I asked. For the first time, Ryuk shook his head and he brought his feet up on the chair. "How was Rem like?" I asked in curiosity. "Probably the only Shinigami who understood what it was truly like to be human," Ryuk answered. "She was very kind and gentle,...but she'd be very scary when she got mad." "You're very scary when you get mad, Ryuk," I told him. Ryuk chuckled. "Aren't all Shinigamis scary when they get angry?" he asked. "Well...you and Midora are the only Shinigamis I've ever met.

"There's more of us," Ryuk informed me. "Not all of us are nice to humans." I was puzzled once I heard that since I didn't remember what Ryuk told me about the other Shinigamis. "Are there any that are mean?" I asked. Ryuk nodded. "Some of us can be pretty mean, but there's a Shinigami out there that's out for blood," he answered. I got curious about this Shinigami that he was talking about. "How is he like? Were you alive when he was human?" I asked. Ryuk nodded. "He was a boy a little bit younger than you when I first met him," he answered. "I watched as that sweet boy who had dreams of becoming a police officer turn into something monstrous that the world would soon either worship him or fear him." I gasped once I heard this. No way! He must be talking about Kira! I mean...Light Yagami! I thought to myself.

                                                                    RYUK

I looked up at Vincent with a straight look on my face. I placed my finger on Vincent's forehead and I watched as he closed his eyes for a few seconds. "Forget about what I just said about Kira," I commanded him. I gently removed my finger from Vincent's forehead and watched as he opened his eyes again. "Anyway, Ryuk," he began. "What were we talking about again? I can't seem to remember." "Rem," I answered. "We were talking about Rem."

                                                                 VINCENT

I was a bit surprised that we were talking about her since Ryuk would kind of get emotional when he was talking about her. I slightly tilted my head to the right. "You really miss her, don't you, Ryuk?" I asked. I watched as Ryuk nodded and sniffled as a few tears ran down from his eyes. "When I returned back to the Shinigami Realm after the defeat of Kira, I found the portfolio she made of us together," Ryuk answered. "That's what makes me miss her more since she had a crush on me." I watched as Ryuk dried the tears from his eyes. "Anyway," Ryuk began as he dug for something in his pocket. "I forgot to give you something." "Hmm?" I asked. I watched as Ryuk brought out a black pair of sunglasses. "Sunglasses?" I asked. "Yes," Ryuk answered. "...and no...they make look like a pair of regular sunglasses, but these sunglasses are just like the Shinigami eyes, except you don't need to give up half of your lifespan, kid."

I took the pair of Shinigami Sunglasses from Ryuk and placed them on. Everything was in various shades of red. "Wow!" I gasped. "This is sweet, Ryuk!" I watched as Ryuk chuckled. "Sure they are, kid," he told me. "They can also help you find some other Death Note users, too." I smiled and laughed in excitement. "I gotta tell Kyrie about these!" I told Ryuk before I turned around and ran downstairs with Red on my tail. "Kyrie!" I called out from downstairs. "Kyrie!" I called out again. "Vincent!" I heard Kyrie call out. I went downstairs and saw Kyrie with a pair of pink heart-shaped sunglasses on. "Hey," I greeted her. "Where did you get those?" "Midora," Kyrie answered. "Where did you get those from?" "Ryuk," I answered. "He didn't want to give me the Shinigami eyes, so he gave me these." "Midora didn't want to give me the Shinigami eyes either," Kyrie replied. "Anyway, Marie should be here in a little bit. We should keep the glasses on until she comes here."

Just then, we heard the sound of a car engine and we both ran to the front door. Kyrie and I looked out the window and saw a taxi outside the house. We watched as the taxi door opened and saw Marie come out of the taxi. "Woah!" I heard Kyrie gasp. "Vincent, are you seeing this?" I looked at Marie and dropped my jaw when I found out that I couldn't see her lifespan. "Marie," I sharply exhaled. "I can't see her lifespan." "Me neither," Kyrie said again. "Can you believe it? She's a Death Note user too!"