Chapter 78 (PART THREE): An Unknown Caller

FEBRUARY 26, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN 

AT 8:59 AM 

                                                                                   MARIE 

I was writing stuff in one of my journals about Mr. Mikami. It was like I was doing an essay about him for school, only except I was doing this for the police. I was writing everything that I just learned about Mr. Mikami. Given the fact that he was kidnapped twice and raped more than a dozen times by his evil ex-girlfriend, there was no possible way that he could have assaulted Geffrey to the public. I knew certain criminals who were abused in life and later became heartless monsters, but I  knew that Mr. Mikami would never become one of them. I turned around quickly when I heard the door opening and held my journal close to my chest. Turns out, the person who opened the door was Ryuzaki. "What are you doing up here in your room all alone?" he asked. "I was just doing some research about Mr. Mikami," I answered. "Did you know that he was kidnapped twice in his life?" 

Ryuzaki thought about what he was going to say. "I did, yes," he answered. I watched as Ryuzaki came up to my bed and sat on it. "It was a way to begin 1996," he continued. "It began with two kidnappings. First with him and then with Amber Hagerman. I remembered that it wasn't a great month for Texas." I watched as Ryuzaki sipped his cup of coffee. "Anyway," he began. "I just came to tell you that Light's cooking up a batch of potato chips so it might be a while before he's done." I nodded. "It's fine," I told Ryuzaki. "I was going to help him, but when I told him that I was researching Mr. Mikami, he told me to continue to do some research." Ryuzaki placed his thump to his mouth. "Refresh my memory," he said. "What happened? I know some of the major details, but I don't know why this research is so important. Don't get me wrong, I know that this research is important so history doesn't repeat itself, but still. What's going on?" "Well, it's a long story," I answered. "Are you ready to hear it word by word?" 

"Please," Ryuzaki answered. "Okay. On the night of the Music Performance at Paradaisu Waterpark and Resort, the building set on fire and..." "No, no," Ryuzaki said out loud. "That's too far. Go to the day that Mr. Mikami was arrested." "Well, you're in luck because Mr. Mikami was arrested the very next day," I told Ryuzaki. "Mr. Mikami told us that he was reopening the other schools that Monday and told us that we were still going to have to work because the school collapsed. Mr. Mikami didn't want the school to be rebuilt until the police found out what caused the building to collapse. This caused Geffrey to confront Mr. Mikami and call him very mean names all because he didn't want to work. This caused Mr. Mikami to expel him, but that didn't stop Geffrey from being a jerk. He continued to call him horrible names and call him a menace to Japan. He kept saying all of that stuff until it made Mr. Mikami so mad enough that he slapped him in the face. We were in the bleachers screaming and freaking out when we saw Mr. Mikami slap Geffrey. Mr. Mikami apologized to Geffrey, but Geffrey yelled at him saying that he was going to make sure Mr. Mikami regretted what he did." 

I lowered my head. "By everything that happened, it shows you how far Geffrey was willing to go," I continued. "Mr. Mikami got arrested and Geffrey is spreading lies to the public. He's even in a wheelchair pretending like Mr. Mikami assaulted him. I mean, seriously? Mr. Mikami got raped more than a dozen times by his first ex. Why would anyone assume that he would assault Geffrey?" Ryuzaki stood there and looked at me. "Well, unfortunately, some people who are raped or assaulted once in their lifetime end up doing the same to other people," he commented. I scoffed. "You're kidding," I said. "I wish I was," Ryuzaki replied. "Unfortunately, some people end up raping people even after they were raped in the past. A lot of people who experience being raped don't usually rape others, but some unfortunately do." "What does rape have to do with what Geffrey did?" I asked. "I know that Mr. Mikami was raped by Amala, but still. Geffrey pretends that Mr. Mikami assaulted him physically, not sexually. He fabricated all this just to get him arrested. And now I have to save Mr. Mikami or he'll be in jail until 2011."