Chapter Ten: Testing out the Notebook

JANUARY 16, 2006

EARLY EVENING (AROUND 5:00 PM) 

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                            MARIE 

I unlocked the door to the house only to find it empty. No sign of Christy in the house. She must have had a really busy day. I thought to myself. I heard a dog barking right before Khloe tried to jump on me. "Oh!" I exclaimed. "Khloe, what's gotten into you? Christy's not here yet!" Khloe got down on her two paws in the front and started whimpering. I bent down to pet her. "Don't worry, girl," I said while petting her. "We can go for a little walk pretty soon so we can make Christy jealous." Khloe started to wag her tail and even started panting. "Doesn't that sound nice?" I asked in a teasingly voice. "Woof!" she let out. I laughed. "Yes, yes. Now go play with your toys. I have some homework I need to do." I quickly went upstairs to my room and locked the door. I was then greeted by Alex who meowed and ran up to me. "Hey, Alex," I said with open arms. He ran into my arms and started purring. I hugged Alex back as he purred. "I missed you two, pretty kitty." Alex then started to meow like he wanted to get down. I did him the favor of putting him back down on the floor and he ran to my bed for a cat nap. I chuckled. "Now it's time for me to do my homework." 

I quickly got the notebook out of my backpack and placed it on my computer desk. I opened it up and read the instructions in the book. "Death Note," I read. "Whoever's name is written in this notebook will die. This note will not take effect unless the writer has a person's name and face in his/her mind. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected. If the cause of death is written within the next forty seconds it will happen. If the cause of death is not specified within forty seconds, the person would simply die of a heart attack. After writing the cause of death, details of the death should written within the next six minutes and forty seconds." I shrugged. "Sounds like this is a book that someone's working on based on the Kira investigation," I said to myself before chuckling. The biggest shock was when I opened the book and found out that most of the pages were blank. "What the hell?" I muttered. "This is a notebook?!" I asked in a louder tone. "You can't be serious! Is this for real?!" I then made a serious face and thought about writing Geffrey's name in the Death Note after what he did to me today. 

I collected a pen from my bag and almost...ALMOST wrote Geffrey's name in the Death Note. Wait! I can't write his name in the Death Note! He may be a bully, but it'd probably be a bad idea to write his name in the notebook. What if this is real and I accidentally kill him?  I thought to myself. "I can't try this out on a school bully," I said to myself. "I have to try it on someone else." What about a perpetrator of the law? A kidnapper? A rapist? A pedophile? A murderer? Yes, I should use it on a criminal instead of a school bully! I thought to myself. I turned around in my seat and turned on the TV. When I turned it on, I got more than I bargained for. "Welcome to Sakura News," said the news reporter. "Today we are talking about a kidnapping case that's still ongoing. A four-year-old girl named Kanao Arata was in the park walking with her mother..." The news showed a picture of the young girl. She had black hair that was up in pigtails, brown eyes, and wore a pink outfit. I felt bad for her because of what she and her family must be going through. 

Kanao? What a beautiful name. I've never heard any name like that before. I feel really bad for the poor little thing. I thought to myself. "...when a man snatched her and placed her in his car." the news lady continued. "The police are looking for this man who is believed to be a tourist, 48-year-old, Jules Chevrolet is believed to have traveled to Tokyo from France." I glanced at the picture they placed of Jules Chevrolet on the TV. This guy looked more like he was 70 rather than his late 40s. I thought to myself as I squinted my eyes at the picture of him.  That's disgusting! Who travels from France to Tokyo to kidnap a little girl? What kind of sick psychopath is he? I thought some more. "Oh well, Jules," I said out loud as I took the pen and raised it. "You brought this on yourself." I wrote his name on the first blank sheet of the notebook with no cause of death meaning that in forty seconds, he'll just die of a heart attack. I don't know if Kanao is still alive, but if she is, then she's probably forced to do stuff against her will like getting raped or sexually assaulted. I clenched my fist as I waited for an update and slightly turned my head so I could look at my alarm clock. "Any second," I said out loud.