Chapter Forty: What People Expect From Kira

JANUARY 30, 2006

AT 1:15 PM

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                         MARIE

I was in the living room dusting the TV off when Christy came in. "Hey," I heard her say. I looked up at her. "Hey," I greeted back. "Steve should be here in a little bit," Christy told me. "He's gonna pick me up and take me to the hotel. Can you believe it?" I was speechless and didn't know what to say. I was certain that Christy and Steve had gotten pretty close within the past several weeks that we stayed in Japan, but I didn't think that they'd probably go into a hotel room together. (I'm pretty sure you all know what I was thinking about when Christy told me that.) "So..." I awkwardly began. "Are you and Steve going to be in a hotel room together?" Christy giggled. "Oh, no, no, no," Christy answered. "If you're thinking about that Marie, then you really shouldn't worry about that. I don't plan on doing that till after I get married. Especially if I get married to Steve and become Mrs. Steve Reese."

I nodded. "Okay," I let out. "Anyway," Christy began. "Other than Geffrey bullying you and the school collapsing, what else happened during your short time at the school?" I sighed. "Well," I began as I tried to think of a straight answer to give Christy. "A lot of things. Mr. Mikami and Ms. Hirota are so nice. Plus, Mr. Mikami gave me an A- on my first assignment." Christy gasped with a smile on her face. "Oh wow!" she cheered. "Congratulations! It's no wonder why Steve registered you for Kanto Region American High School! He's the best!" I looked at Christy with a confused face. "Who?" I asked. "Steve or Mr. Mikami?" "Steve," Christy answered. "But I'm sure Mr. Mikami and everyone else at your new school besides Geffrey was and still probably is super nice." 

I nervously chuckled. "Well, not everybody has been that nice to me," I told Christy. I watched as Christy's smile faded. "To be fair, there have been some teachers like Mr. Yamamoto who's been giving me a hard time," I continued. "There's also this one girl Saiko has been pestering me along Geffrey's side. And get this...she's Geffrey's girlfriend." Christy looked at me as if I said something weird." Are you serious?" she asked. "Oh dear Lord of Hyrule, how did he get a girlfriend so fast? Is there something that I'm missing here?" I sighed. "She's just as big of a bully as Geffrey is," I answered. "They've been bullying me because I'm not Japanese and they also bully me for being myself." Christy looked at me as if she was thinking about something after I said that. She then sighed. "Marie, can I tell you something?" she asked. I nodded. "Yeah, sure," I answered. "What is it, Christy?" 

"Well, I know that I've said this before, so let me try and switch it up again so it doesn't sound like I'm lecturing you," Christy answered. "You're are a very very beautiful person. You're dark, you're cunning, but you're also very kind, very loving, very sweet, and very gentle. Those are the many things I like about you." I looked at her as if I was about to smile. "Anyway, be Gothic, be dark, be a fanatic of horror movies, be anything that you want," she continued. "Don't be what Geffrey and Saiko want you to be. They can't change you. Don't change yourself because of what they say. That's just stupid...So be yourself." I smiled. "You're amazing, Christy," I told her. "You've been my inspiration since you didn't let Simon Cowell's opinions about you get to you. You even toured with Christina Aguilera, My Chemical Romance, and Avril Lavigne. To be fair I've never been to your concerts with them, but I've watched them on TV. And anyway, I'm sure you'll be awesome at the Misa Misa Legacy Party next week. Khloe and I will be there in the audience cheering you on." 

Christy smiled and acted like she was about to laugh. "I'm more excited to see you there at the concert than performing there," she told me. Just then, I heard Christy's phone ring. She looked down at her pocket and got out her Nokia N-Gage. I watched as Christy pressed the green button on her phone and placed it up to her ear. "Hello," she said. "Ah, Steve. It's nice to get a call from you in like what?... Twenty-three days?" Christy laughed. "I'm just joking, Steve," she continued. "I know that you texted me this morning. Anyway, what's up?" I listened to see if I could hear Steve's voice, but I couldn't hear that much. "Oh, you're here?" Christy asked. "Well, okay. I guess I'll be on my way." She giggled. "See you in a little bit." Just then, Christy pressed a button and placed her phone back into her pocket. I heard Christy sigh as she turned around and looked at me. "Well, Steve's here," she told me. "I guess I'd better get going."