Chapter Twenty-Four (Part One): Light Intervenes

JANUARY 24, 2006

AROUND 7:50 PM 

TOKYO, JAPAN 

                                                                      MARIE 

I was in the bathroom applying some dark red lipstick that I brought with me from home. That's when I heard the song, "Beautiful Life" by Ace of Base. I stopped applying my lipstick and looked up at the ceiling as it was playing. I started to get a weird feeling right then and there. "It's A Beautiful Life," I said out loud. I lowered my black lipstick further away from my face and tried to think about why I was having a weird feeling about that song. I didn't know why I was feeling that way about that song. It wasn't a song talking about death. I've listened to many songs about death and I felt perfectly fine listening to them. However, this song was a song that I listened to a lot in my pre-teen years and I didn't get this weird feeling about this song. I quickly shrugged it off. "It's just a cheery song about life." I then placed the lipstick back up to my lips and kept applying it to my lips. That's when I heard the intercom go off. 

"Students," I heard someone's voice on the voice changer. It sounded very weird and honestly, it sounded like a crazy robot or machine. "Please make sure to make it to your classes on time and do a good job in school." The person on the intercom paused for a moment. "Then you guys can party like the school is coming down. I repeat, then you can party like the school is coming .." That's when the voice became distorted and the intercom was cut off. I then made a confused look on my face.  I then rolled down my lipstick and placed it back into my back as I heard TV static coming from the intercom. As I left the bathroom, the song, "Somebody Told Me" by The Killers came on. 

After I left the bathroom, I still was feeling a little hungry since I didn't have anything else with my chocolate waffles at home with Christy. That's when I went straight to my locker and placed my bag on the ground. I opened it up and took out a dark chocolate bar. I unwrapped the chocolate bar and took a bite out of it. While eating it, I got this weird feeling. And it wasn't like the dark chocolate bar didn't taste good, but it felt like I was having deja vu. After I finished the bite I took, I looked at my dark chocolate bar and began thinking about what was happening. "What the hell?" I muttered. "Have I done this before?" I then shook my head and got up while eating the dark chocolate bar. Afterward, I picked up my backpack before I walked to Mr. Mikami's classroom for my first-period class. 

                                                                MINAKO (MS. HIROTA) 

I was busy getting stuff ready in the science lab due to Kaito's big plan. Thankfully, I was able to invite a couple of friends from America. Their names were Halle Lidner a.k.a Halle Bullock and Nate River. I already knew about L's a.k.a Ryuzaki Lawliet's death and that Nate River a.k.a. Near became the new L. I never knew Mello, but I was very shocked that he became a kidnapper who kidnapped Sayu Yagami and Kiyomi Takada. I was happy that Sayu was recovered safely and brought home, but I was also very sad that Kiyomi was burned to death in an abandoned church. I had no idea if Mello killed her and then himself or if it was the other way around. "It was so nice of you to invite us, Minako," I heard Halle say to me. "I haven't seen you in a while." I looked up at Halle. "How is my sister doing?" I asked. "She's doing great," Halle answered. "She really misses you and wishes that you were back in Hillsboro." She paused for a minute and drank her Expresso from Starbucks. "But then again," Halle said after he was done taking a sip of coffee. "She really wishes that you were still in Waco so that you could be that much closer to home." I chuckled. 

"Well, you can tell her that she's always welcome for a visit," I told Halle. "Kaito is very welcoming and all. Kaito and I might take a visit during summer or during the holidays." "Fun," Halle replied. We laughed right after we said that. I then looked down at Near. "Why, hello, Near," I greeted him. He turned around and looked at me. "How've you been?" "I'm fine," he answered. "I feel better now that the person who murdered my father is in jail and is now waiting on death row." My smile faded when I heard that. I didn't know Near had a father and I didn't know much about his past either. He continued to play with his Cloud and Sephiroth action figures which made me believe he was trying to copy that scene from Kingdom Hearts where they had a big sword fight. "Near, if you don't mind me asking, I would like to ask you something," I told him. He placed his Cloud and Sephiroth action figures down in his lap. "Before I was brought into the Wammy house, I used to live in Texas with my father," Near answered. "It was just me and him. My mother left." I got curious about his mother after he mentioned that. "What happened?" I asked. "Did she die? Or did your parents get into a divorce?"