Pre Chapter 79: A Kidnapped Police Officer

FEBRUARY 26, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 6:00 PM 

                                                                           THIRD PERSON POV

Officer Yamamoto headed to Chief Matsuda's and Commander Aizawa's office. "Good evening, Chief," he said before he walked into the office. "Just so you know your mom called asking when you'll be home for..." Unfortunately, when Officer Yamamoto walked inside, he saw the office and the desk that Chief Matsuda was in empty. He knew that Commander Aizawa wouldn't be there because he was still mad at Chief Matsuda. From what Chief Matsuda had told Officer Yamamoto and the other police officers, Commander Aizawa was taking some time off so he could be with his family. He didn't tell any of them the truth that Commander Aizawa was mad because Chief Matsuda had hired two police officers that he couldn't remember the names of. "Chief?" Officer Yamamoto asked. "Chief?" Officer Yamamoto walked into the office hoping that Chief Matsuda was just under his desk. "Are you under the desk, Chief?" he asked. Unfortunately, Officer Yamamoto looked underneath the desk and didn't find Chief Matsuda under his desk. "No?" Officer Yamamoto asked. "Huh." He placed his hands on his hips. "Did he leave already?" 

Suddenly, Chief Matsuda's work phone rang. Officer Yamamoto walked up to it and answered it. "Hello," he answered the phone. "Oh," he heard a woman let out. "Yamamoto. This is quite a surprise. Is Touta there?" "Uh..." Officer Yamamoto let out nervously. "Is he in the bathroom or something?" "No," Officer Yamamoto answered. "I mean I don't know, Ms. Matsuda. He wasn't in here." "Well, dinner is almost ready and I'm making one of his favorite dishes," he heard Chief Matsuda's Mom say on the phone. "I was hoping to help him and Shuichi so I invited his mother over too. I don't know what's taking them so long." "Okay, Ms. Matsuda," Officer Yamamoto began nervously. "I don't know if he's on his way yet, but I'm gonna call him soon." "Okay," Ms. Matsuda told Officer Yamamoto. "Please keep me on the line. I want to talk to my son." "Hey, Yamamoto," Officer Yamamoto heard Officer Ide say. "Have you heard from Chief Matsuda? I've been trying to call him several times, but he won't pick up." 

"He won't pick up?!" Ms. Matsuda asked. "Why isn't my baby boy picking up his phone?! He always picked up his phone! Even when he's in the bathroom, he always talks to his parents when they're calling him! What the hell is going on?! " Officer Yamamoto picked up a clipboard with all of the times that Chief Matsuda had clocked in and clocked out. He saw all the times that he had clocked out, but on this day he clocked in but never clocked out. Officer Yamamoto felt his mouth go dry as he looked at the paper. "Uh..." he let out nervously. "Is Chief Matsuda still in the building?" "Well," Officer Ide began. "I don't know, but I'm sure that he's..." "He's not in the bathroom!" he heard Officer Mogi shout. They both watched as Officer Mogi ran up to the doorway of the office. "I just checked the bathroom!" Officer Mogi told Officer Ide and Officer Yamamoto. "He's not there!" Officer Yamamoto slowly covered his mouth with his right hand. 

"Are you okay, Yamamoto?" Officer Mogi asked. "Why are you acting like you've seen Ghostface?" Officer Yamamoto let out a whimper as he tried to process what was going on. Something bad must have happened to Chief Matsuda and they all weren't aware of it. "What is going on?" he heard Ms. Matsuda asked on the phone. "Is everything alright, Satomi?" he heard Commander Aizawa's mother ask. "No, Moe," he heard Ms. Matsuda answer. "Shuichi isn't here and no one in the police station knows where Touta is." Officer Yamamoto uncovered his mouth and started breathing heavily. "Is everything okay?" he heard Ms. Aizawa ask. "I think something bad has happened to Chief Matsuda!" Officer Yamamoto shouted. Officer Mogi and Officer Ide gasped. "What?!" Ms. Matsuda asked. "Why do you think that, Yamamoto?!" "Hey, guys!" they heard Officer Sanami shout as she ran up to her brother. "I saw Chief Matsuda leaving almost three hours ago," she informed everyone. "But he never returned."