Chapter Fourteen: The Killing Spree/Paint it Black

JANUARY 17, 2006

EARLY EVENING (AROUND 5:00 PM)

TOKYO, JAPAN                                                                      

                                                                      MARIE

I closed the door and locked it after I walked out of the house with Khloe on her leash. That's when I heard footsteps approaching me. My gut instinct told me to turn around so that's what I did and saw Light approaching me and he was in a casual white jacket and black pants. "Why are you coming with me?" I asked. "And how did you come outside?" "I want to see how you use my Death Note," Light answered. "Also, I went out the backdoor." I scoffed and shook my head. Great. Now I'm gonna have to go to the backdoor and lock it so nobody comes in to rob us. I thought to myself. "Don't worry," Light tried to calm me down. "I locked the backdoor before I left the house," the door. I sighed in relief. "Thanks," I told him. "You know whoever robs this house will have their name written on my Death Note." "Oh really?" Light asked. "How are you going to get their names if you don't have faces?" "I'll find out," I answered. "One way or another."

That's when I heard someone say. "Oi!" I heard a woman call out. Light and I turned to see a woman who looked to be around Saichiko's age. "What are you doing?" she asked. "Oh, nothing much," I answered. "Just talking to a schoolmate here." The woman flinched her shoulders. "Schoolmate?" she asked. "Yes," I answered. "We're busy talking about our Algebra test we had tomorrow." (Long story short, there was NO Algebra test tomorrow) Her eyes were filled with concern and fear as she scanned everything around me. "What's going on?" I asked. "You know he's right here beside me." The woman shook her head. "I think you need to get your eyes checked, sweetheart. There's no one with you." I turned to look at Light right when I dropped my jaw. I saw the woman running away from the direction she came from.

I was still dumbstruck when I looked at Light. "What was that all about? Why couldn't she see you?" I asked. "Only people who touch the notebook or its pages can see me," Light answered. I stepped back once he said that. Was he being serious? That really could explain why the woman walking down the street thought I was crazy. I thought to myself. "R-really?" I asked nervously. "Yeah," Light answered. "Oh! I have an idea that can fix that!" He looked down at my jacket pocket. "Pull out your phone." Light commanded. "That way when I talk to you people would look around and assume that you are on the phone with a friend." I pulled out my flip phone from my jacket pocket and held it up to my ear. "Good," he continued. "Now go walk the dog. I'm sure Khloe must love downtown Tokyo."

I followed Light's order and walked Khloe into town. Nobody bothered talking to me because I had my phone to my ear, and it looked like I was talking to a friend. I felt Light tap me on the shoulder. "You know, coming into town and killing people here isn't the best idea," he told me. "I know what I'm doing," I assured Light in a "Wednesday Addams" tone. "This is the best way for me to save the innocent and kill the wicked." I paused for a moment. "You may have done things differently while you were alive and had your role as Kira, but I do things differently now that I'm Kira." We continued to walk in silence after that. Light tapped me again. "Why did we stop talking?" he asked in a loud whisper. "People might think your phone is broken!" "I'm sorry," I told Light as I made it look like I was talking on the phone with him.

"I think I just ran out of things I wanted to talk about." Light scoffed at me. "How do you run out of things to talk about now? Can't you see that you're the new Kira here?!" he protested in a loud whisper. I nodded and didn't say anything. "I can hear you loud and clear," I assured Light as we continued to walk downtown. "You trust me, right?" Light asked. I scoffed and shook my head once he said that. "Are you nuts?!" I said in a loud whisper. "Of course not! You lured me with your terrible cover of "Turn Around Look at Me" by The Bee Gees and you ended up tying me up twice in one day! Not to mention you ended up taping my mouth shut with duct tape! Seriously, what kind of person/ Shinigami would do that to someone?!" I ended up taking a turn down the sidewalk with Khloe and Light. That's when Light sang, "There's a Shinigami....walking behind you," I then stopped walking in and began to feel annoyed once he started singing that song. "Turn Around...Look at Me." he continued to sing. I turned around and looked at Light. "Hey, would you just shut up?!" I yelled. Everybody gasped and looked at me. I lowered my phone from my head and looked around at everyone who was staring at me. Light glared at me and tilted his head to his right side. "Nice going," he said sarcastically.