Chapter 85: A Killer Message

MARCH 1, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 5:00 PM

                                                                                   MARIE

I was sitting on the couch trying to process what just happened earlier today. Even though it was almost the evening, I was still very shocked and saddened about what happened to Daeshim. I didn't feel like doing anything. Another precious life was taken today and I could do anything to stop it just like I couldn't stop my other friends from dying. I heard footsteps coming in my direction. I turned and saw Light plopping down on the couch right next to me. "Hey," he greeted me. "Hi," I greeted him in a sullen tone. Light's smile faded as he noticed that I wasn't very happy. "What's wrong?" he asked. I looked at Light with an emotional look on my face. "What?" he asked. "Did someone die?" I nodded. "Daeshim's gone," I answered. Light made a sullen look on his face. "What?" he asked. "He's dead, Light," I answered. "I know that already," Light informed me. "The real question is...how did he die?" "He got run over by a tram," I answered. Light showed some sympathy after he heard that. "I got that same feeling that I got right before Mei, Jirou, Mamoru, and Pauline died," I answered. "When I told him that, Daeshim freaked out and went crazy before he got his foot stuck onto the track with a piece of bubblegum. Right after that, the tram came at a fast speed and ran over him."

Light slowly nodded after hearing that with a sad expression on his face. "I feel bad for Kyrie," I said to him. "She and Daeshim were dating. I've been around them and it seemed like she related to Daeshim very well." "I could tell," Light said to me. "I could see it in the way she looked at him." I placed my feet on the couch and held my knees. "I may never know why Daeshim acted like he hated me after Rina first started killing," I continued. "I have no idea why he was like that to me. I never suspected him of killing anyone innocent." Light sighed. "I'm very sorry for the way how Daeshim treated you, Marie," he told me. "And I'm also sorry that Daeshim died." I heard footsteps coming from downstairs. I saw Ryuzaki going to the kitchen. I got up and followed Ryuzaki into the kitchen. "It happened again, Ryuzaki," I informed him. "I heard," he informed me. "I'm so sorry about Daeshim."

I was a bit surprised to hear that he already knew about Daeshim. "Wait, how did you know about that, Ryuzaki?" I asked. "I was checking through Light's crystal ball while he was sleeping." I turned and looked at Light. "What?" I asked. "You were still asleep when Daeshim died?" "What?!" Light asked. I watched as he got up from the bed. "Don't blame me for missing out on that low-budget Terry Chaney-styled death! You and I were partying all last night!" I turned and looked at Ryuzaki. "You two were partying all night?" he asked. "Hey, I went to bed at eleven last night and I have no idea what Light was doing," I answered. "I was busy watching scary movies and getting hooked on caffeine!" Light informed me. "Once again, I'm very sorry that I missed Daeshim's death and I guess if I could go back in time, I would more than likely like to see it." I glared at Light after he said that. "No you wouldn't," Ryuzaki informed him. "I watched the whole thing through your crystal ball. Seeing someone getting run over in real life was very traumatizing to watch."

I turned around, looked at Ryuzaki, and placed my hands on my hips. "Don't you solve gruesome cases like this?" I asked. "Well, never any like these," Ryuzaki answered. "I've tackled many dangerous cases in the past, but never any like this." "But what about the Kira case?" I asked. "Although it's solved, I was sleeping on the job for a few years," Ryuzaki answered. "To be fair, I don't remember most of it." I was a bit surprised to hear that. I watched as Ryuzaki walked to the couch. I tried to process what I heard. There is no way. How could he not remember most of the Kira case? He was so determined to find Kira at all costs. How could something like this happen? I thought to myself. I walked to the rocking chair and sat in it as I watched Ryuzaki take the lid off of the cake.