Chapter Thirty-Six: Change of Plans/Conversation about Life, Parents, and Kira

JANUARY 30, 2005

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 6:57 AM 

                                                                              MARIE

I watched as Ms. Seraphim got in front of the walkway and sighed. "Alright," she began. "I know how shaken up you must be since some of you have claimed to see this masked man, but I'm not sure how many of you guys saw this man," she began. "Now!" Ms. Seraphim clapped her hands together. "Raise your hand if you saw the masked man on the night of the candlelight vigil." I raised my hands and looked around the bus. I even turned around and saw most of the crowd had their hands up in the air. Wow...some other people saw that man in the mask too? I wonder what kind of sick freak would do this during and after a candlelight vigil. Whoever this sick freak is...I'll find him and ask him why he did it. I may even have to go as far as killing this man once I find out his identity and what his true intentions are. I thought to myself. 

"Alright," I heard Ms. Seraphim say as I turned around. "That's everyone who saw him, right?" We all stayed silent and didn't say a peep. "Now," Ms Seraphim announced. "Raise your hand if you saw this man during the candlelight vigil." I kept my hand raised since I saw him pop a party popper and mock the deaths of all of those innocent people. Ms. Seraphim slightly tilted her head once she saw me. "Only you, Marie?" she asked. I turned around and saw everyone with their hands down. I was a bit surprised that no one else saw him at the vigil, but I figured that everyone may have seen them after the vigil. "Alright," I heard Ms. Seraphim say as I turned around in my seat. "Raise your hand if any of you saw him after the vigil and when you were either heading home or already at home." 

Just then, I turned around and saw almost everyone holding their hands up. I dropped my jaw once I saw this. I couldn't believe how right I was! "Alright then," I heard Ms. Seraphim say. "Now how many of you guys didn't see him at all that night?" I saw Kyrie, Sam, Sky, Victor, and Lilac raise their hands. I then turned around and saw Vincent with his hand up in the air. So, Vincent, Kyrie, Sam, Sky, Victor, and Lilac didn't see him? I'm glad that they didn't. There was something off with that man, but still, I'm not sure if I should confront him or kill him once I find out who he is. Maybe it could have been a prankster. I mean, no murders have been happening and he doesn't seem like anyone's ever seen him after that night. I wonder what Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa would think about this. Maybe it'd be best if I... I thought to myself until I heard the sound of someone clapping their hands twice and looked up to see Ms. Seraphim there. 

"Alright, class," she announced. "I'm guessing that everyone who saw this man has only seen him at night, right?" I nodded and turned around. I saw everyone who raised their hand once they saw him nod too. I quickly turned around in my seat and looked at Ms. Seraphim. I watched as she sighed and lowered her head. "I'd hate to tell you this, but if we go to Jigokundai Monkey Park, we won't be back until nightfall." I heard everyone chatter with each other about stuff. "So, if you guys are comfortable, then we could still go to the Monkey Park, and if you're not, then we'll go somewhere else," Ms. Seraphim assured us. "Maybe we could go to Aoyama." "I'd rather go there than go somewhere where we'll be back by dark at a time like this," I heard Alissa say as Vincent and I turned to look at her. "I won't be happy to see this guy outside my house and hear that he's chasing Osuke again." 

"I agree with Alissa," Osuke agreed. "We shouldn't be taking that risk. What if this man is a psychopath? I'd rather go to Aoyama than have to worry about walking down the street at night and being chased by the masked man. The monkeys can wait." Just then, everyone started clamoring to Ms. Seraphim and complaining about how they didn't want to see the masked man again. I couldn't make out a lot of words that they were saying, but they sounded like they didn't want to see the masked man again. Everyone except for Vincent, Kyrie, Sam, Sky, Victor, Lilac, and I continued to ramble about not wanting to see the masked man again. "Okay, okay, okay," Ms. Seraphim let out as Vincent and I turned around to face her. "That settles it then. We'll put off the monkey trip and save it for another time. As for today, we'll go to Aoyama."